Why become a member? ×

For sale: Alembic Epic 5 string £600

Chris2112

Evening all,

As my collection undergoes a reshuffle in the amp department (new Ashdown Mark King amp just arrived) I've decided to offer this for trade to see what offers may come my way. My playing at the moment outside of my bedroom isn't as fretless orientated as it was a few months ago when I was playing maybe 70% of all stuff fretless. Things are moving in a fretted direction again with lots of slaps and pops along the way.

This is an Alembic Epic 5 string, made in 1996 I believe. Disciples of Alembic will of course recognise that this bass is handmade in California like all other Alembic basses. It's got a wenge top and matching headstock, an option that will add considerable expense to a new bass these days given the scarcity of new wenge stocks and the rising price of existing supplies. It has a mahogany body with a maple accent slice beneath the topwood. It has maple neck and brass hardware. The preamp covers a balance control, volume and bass and treble controls. The fret marker inlays are brass.

The condition of the bass is practically "as new". The fretboard is ebony and is unmarked and there are no unsightly dings or scratches on it. I hesitate to say it is definitely unmarked as it is 14 years old but it has clearly been well cared for and I haven't yet found any marks or scratches on it! It has a satin finish which I have kept buffed.

It practically plays itself and it is testament to Alembic's skill of craft that the action can be so low but without buzzing or choking. As it is, it feels effortless and natural to play. It also sounds fantastic, with a characteristic midrange burp coming from the back pickup that I usually favour.

It will be no great loss to me if I keep the bass as it is fantastic, but it feels a shame to leave it in it's case and take the Kubicki out every time.

EDIT: This is now for sale, £600 with a hardcase collected. I've decided to return the good fortune I got on these boards and sell it for what I paid for it. I need the funds to pay for an incoming bass I'll be buying this week.

Edited by Chris2112

And that Shuker has now gone to fund a Wood&Tronics situation.... Oh lordy when will this end :S

Bump for a good bass and good bloke

[quote name='Chris2112' post='969692' date='Sep 27 2010, 05:05 PM']Indeed it was, so good that even after I'd got it people were trying to buy it straight off me! Of course, James needed cash for his Shuker, a situation I'm sure we've all been in at one point or another! :)[/quote]

And that Shuker has now gone to fund a Wood&Tronics situation.... Oh lordy when will this end :S

Bump for a good bass and good bloke

[quote name='Chris2112' post='969692' date='Sep 27 2010, 05:05 PM']Indeed it was, so good that even after I'd got it people were trying to buy it straight off me! Of course, James needed cash for his Shuker, a situation I'm sure we've all been in at one point or another! :)[/quote]

Can I just say that this is a lovely bass. It was me than it was on loan to and, as Chris says it is a beautiful instrument that practically plays itself - even for a fretless beginner like myself! The preamp gives a huge range of tones, and its amount of cut/boost is so strong that you have to be subtle in its use! Very effective!

I've decided to hang on to my Status, but if I had a bit of spare cash (that wasn't intended for a new lightweight cab!) I would very probably be buying this bass!

Chris is a lovely lad and knows his stuff - so buy/trade with confidence! :)

Thanks Geoff!

I've received an interesting offer on this bass from a gentleman who really knows his gear, however this is still in the discussion stage. In the meantime, I will continue to welcome any offers for trade and I may even be swayed to add some cash for the right bass. In any event, I will definitely reply to all offers received so please do not be shy. Could I forsee a time when I'd be playing a lot of fretless again I'd keep this bass but at present, I quite fancy a new fretted toy while I wait for a couple of paycheques to come through and fund a new Status Kingbass!

Chris

[quote name='Chris2112' post='980808' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:29 PM']As I've said Ovi, there are a few basses on the table at the moment I'm thinking on, and always taking new offers too! Right now a Modulus Quantum and a Marleaux Betra Custom really have me thinking![/quote]

Ok... take care and up from me... let me know only when you are SURE for a trade with me ... I was searching in vain for another courier.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='980749' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:21 PM']Anyone got anything with a big humbucker at the bridge to trade? I quite fancy something like that today, or a Musicman![/quote]

This season, I will mostly be playing..... :) :lol: