Why become a member? ×

Naming DBs

JoshJ

I just got my first double bass a couple of weeks ago and I feel like I should give it a name... Since the make is Antoni, I am tempted just to call it Anthony, but I think it should be a girls name really as "playing with Anthony" sounds a bit homo ([i]edit: Not that there's anything wrong with being homo, it's just not the look I'm going for [/i]), especially since my crotch occasionally gets fairly close to his waist when playing. I thought about "Antoinette" but that's too frilly and makes me sound like a French Duke. ([i]edit 2: Not that there's anything wrong with being a French Duke...[/i])
My girlfriend's grandma calls my bass Bazooka, which I quite like but it's still not very feminine.
Another idea we had was to call it BamBam, since our cat is called Pebbles, but I'm a grown up and that's a pretty stupid name...

Any ideas?

Has anyone else named their bass, and if so, what's it called? Include pics if you think it's necessary.

Edited by JoshJ

[quote name='JoshJ' post='959362' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:46 PM']I just got my first double bass a couple of weeks ago and I feel like I should give it a name... Since the make is Antoni, I am tempted just to call it Anthony, but I think it should be a girls name really as "playing with Anthony" sounds a bit homo ([i]edit: Not that there's anything wrong with being homo, it's just not the look I'm going for [/i]), especially since my crotch occasionally gets fairly close to his waist when playing. I thought about "Antoinette" but that's too frilly and makes me sound like a French Duke. ([i]edit 2: Not that there's anything wrong with being a French Duke...[/i])
My girlfriend's grandma calls my bass Bazooka, which I quite like but it's still not very feminine.
Another idea we had was to call it BamBam, since our cat is called Pebbles, but I'm a grown up and that's a pretty stupid name...

Any ideas?

Has anyone else named their bass, and if so, what's it called? Include pics if you think it's necessary.[/quote]

If you want to go with a Flintstones theme, then your bass is definitley a Wilma.

[quote name='TheRev' post='959450' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:04 PM']Barbara.

No idea why I've called her Barbara as I'm not of the habit of naming inanimate objects but as soon as I saw her I knew her name was Barbara.[/quote]
That really does look like a Barbara! Good choice.

[quote name='TheRev' post='959455' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:07 PM']If you want to go with a Flintstones theme, then your bass is definitley a Wilma.[/quote]
I like it, but Betty is fitter...

I'm starting to think maybe Patricia, after [url="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WQ538VXcbuM/SksRzzCkILI/AAAAAAAAAMk/Tkgi_l4FIwo/s320/509877.jpg"]Patricia Day[/url]

Edited by JoshJ

Mine is a dark and mysterious slavic beauty, so she's called Magda. Not sure why that name, but it was what popped into my head after meeting her. I love her dearly (dearly enough to, having once seen her fingerboard sheared off at a gig, have recurring nightmares about it!).

Ok Bass names. I agree that it is important. here is the assortment of bass characters in my world
1976 Engelhardt: "Baby Mouse" as it felt small and happened to have a mouse sleleton stuck solidly down on the bottom inside of the bass.
Engelhardt EC1 : "Good Doggie" as it provided a nice groove as necessary. obedient, reliable. nothing special
Shen SB90: "Blonde Babe" no explaination necessary
Shen Hybrid: "Young Man" has a clean cut, proper look to it.

funny how some basses are definitely female, and others, unquestionably masculine. Good luck!

[quote name='swingin8th' post='962890' date='Sep 21 2010, 02:17 AM']"Baby Mouse" as it felt small and happened to have a mouse sleleton stuck solidly down on the bottom inside of the bass.[/quote]

OMG!

What was that movie (was it a Roger Corman job?) where the guy gets stuck in the bell tower, and the bells start ringing? bad way to go. :)

'Killer bass' takes on a new meaning.