Why become a member? ×

the who

munkonthehill

I used to beat the living hell out of my bass when I was gigging. I don't think there was a gig when I didn't chuck it on the floor. I dont know what they paint mexican fenders with but there is hardly a mark on it. the only time i did any real damage was when my warwick soft case zip gave in and it smashed the strap button off and scuffed it up at the bottom.
'And you will know us by the trail of dead' were notorious for trashing their kit. I asked the drummer from mogwai if he'd ever leant them stuff on tour- he did but it didnt stop them from trying to trash it! one of their album dvd extras shows their tour manager pleading with them to not do any more damage as they couldn't afford to go on, alas they carried on the same. saw them at reading a few times, the last time was in the radio 1 tent, they trashed a load of the kit and threw all the drums and hardware and pedals into the crowd. cue the security rushing in to get it all back as it was all hired!

[quote name='JTUK' post='951423' date='Sep 10 2010, 08:07 AM']Really...??? they sound a complete and utter set of w**kers to me..!![/quote]

+1.

Back to the Who:

When I was younger I couldn't possibly comprehend the act of smashing up instruments, and found it very annoying and frustrating.

Now I'm older I get it on several levels. Having said that I don't endorse the practice!

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='951363' date='Sep 10 2010, 12:51 AM']'And you will know us by the trail of dead' were notorious for trashing their kit. I asked the drummer from mogwai if he'd ever leant them stuff on tour- he did but it didnt stop them from trying to trash it! one of their album dvd extras shows their tour manager pleading with them to not do any more damage as they couldn't afford to go on, alas they carried on the same. saw them at reading a few times, the last time was in the radio 1 tent, they trashed a load of the kit and threw all the drums and hardware and pedals into the crowd. cue the security rushing in to get it all back as it was all hired![/quote]

Hahaha.

I like the idea that nothing can stop them from destroying their gear, that's commitment. It sounds less like a tired attempt at spectacle and more like sheer bloody-mindedness. Good stuff. :)

[quote name='TimR' post='951228' date='Sep 9 2010, 10:39 PM']Its amazing what you find on the Web. The 1981 event was an accident!

[url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/smashed.html"]http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/smashed.html[/url][/quote]

A bit of a follow up to this. Interesting 'accident', I wonder if that's what went on the insurance claim. The sequence of events might be a little blurry as it was nearly 30 years ago but it was definitely not an accident. It was during Naked Eye (possibly an encore), I remember Townshend having trouble with his strap or straplocks and having to play with the guitar squashed between forearm and torso, then a string broke. At that point you could feel the anticipation in the crowd and sure enough the Schecter was smashed, splitting lengthways up the body. Strangest sensation I've had at gig, close to the sort of bloodlust you get at boxing.

I was less than 20 feet away so I can speak with more accuracy than usual