Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz V....any opinions?

fender73

[quote name='fender73' post='947394' date='Sep 6 2010, 04:56 PM']Hi all...
Am after a budget 5, and love the look of the Affinity 5 string Jazz. Anyone own/played one? Haven't had a chance to play one myself yet.

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Graeme[/quote]

Played one in a shop and found the neck very wide. Ok, you expect it to be wide-ish, but Jazz-wide not P-wide :)
Tried an OLP V after it and it felt much more comfortable to me.

Just imo, of course.

[quote name='garethfriend' post='949745' date='Sep 8 2010, 06:53 PM']Was recently looking at the exact same bass I suspect for exactly the same reasons. I agree with the other person who has played its post, would just add that the low b was horribly flappy. To be fair I think this is a jazz bass thing because I had the same opinion of a £1200 fender american deluxe 5 string.[/quote]

A pet theme here for me. On a 5st the B string..assuming that is how you will string it..is ALL about how well that B sounds. A simple test is if you can slap the B st fretted and get a useable sound out of it, then you are on the right lines.
A fat sound out of proportion with the tone of other strings is a BIG no, and an even balanced tone is the goal and if this doesn't work ..and it no given on far more expensive basses, IMO, then it is not fit for purpose.

There are lots of arguments and debates about neck-thru versus bolted, which I personally think isn't that much of a factor. I have both and can say that both ideas can work very well if the bass is built well, IME.

You option is to try the bass in question and if it works for you, then ok.
I don't think you buy many basses from spec though...try them all, I say.