Why become a member? ×

Thomastik Belcantos

chrkelly

Great strings in reasonably good nick. End silks are a bit worn as usual and the windings on the D string are ever so slightly separated for about 2cm centered around an F (bottom octave). Should have plenty of life in them yet. These strings are probably the easiest to bow of any available. The pizz is dark but with much more sustain than other orchestral strings. Quite old school sounding. They're relatively low tension and flexible for steels too.

Set is G D A E orchestral tuning, will fit 3/4 and 4/4 size basses

How's £60 posted sound? (cheapest in the UK new is £157)

THESE ARE NOW SOLD

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='Beedster' post='945761' date='Sep 4 2010, 11:12 PM']Hi Chris, I'm looking for the DB equivalent of TI Jazz flats, i.e, VERY soft & flexible. Do you think these would fit the bill?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris,

Yes that's a great way of describing them, they also have that same feeling that the lower strings are slightly lower gauge to help with playability. As far as softness goes, they feel quite light and very flexible for steels, but if you're looking for a very soft feeling string you might want to look at guts or synthetics like super silvers.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='946880' date='Sep 6 2010, 08:45 AM']Hi Chris,

Yes that's a great way of describing them, they also have that same feeling that the lower strings are slightly lower gauge to help with playability. As far as softness goes, they feel quite light and very flexible for steels, but if you're looking for a very soft feeling string you might want to look at guts or synthetics like super silvers.[/quote]

Thanks Chris

How do you think they compare with the Sprio Weich (which IIRC you've also played but didn't like)?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='946961' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:21 AM']Thanks Chris

How do you think they compare with the Sprio Weich (which IIRC you've also played but didn't like)?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

They're similar tension-wise but the Belcantos have a much darker, meatier sound. They're world's apart with the bow. I wouldn't go anywhere near spiros for orchestral suff. Spiros are the way to go if you want a cutting modern pizz sound with tonnes of sustain, the Belcantos are more old school with loads of thump. I much prefer the Belcantos.

I don't suppose you've tried evah pirazzis?

I'm looking for a replacement for them at the moment. I like the dark sound and the way they bow, but they are very high tension and I'd like to slap them more. Also the biggest down-side for me is that they seem to have almost no pizz sustain on the E and A which makes intonation really tricky sometimes. In terms of the thump/sustain, do you know how this set compare to evahs?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='949435' date='Sep 8 2010, 02:00 PM']I don't suppose you've tried evah pirazzis?

I'm looking for a replacement for them at the moment. I like the dark sound and the way they bow, but they are very high tension and I'd like to slap them more. Also the biggest down-side for me is that they seem to have almost no pizz sustain on the E and A which makes intonation really tricky sometimes. In terms of the thump/sustain, do you know how this set compare to evahs?[/quote]

Got Evahs on both of my basses at the mo and love them, great strings. Have you tried other strings on your bass? The reason I say this is because all basses are different and have their own sound, the strings are just a small part of this. Maybe a setup change would be better to get more sustain on the bottom end and make them easier to play (I find them lowish tension). My Tarantino has a very thumpy pizz sound, loads of front to the note and a very fast decay. On the other hand my Mittenwald bass sustains like it's strung with spiros. The notes really bloom. Both basses are strung with the same regular gauge Evahs.

The Evahs and Belcantos are similar sounding though I'd say the Belcantos feel more flexible in the hand. The only reason I changed from Belcantos was I felt in arco they just didn't have the power when you really lay into them.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='949386' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:15 PM']Spiros are the way to go if you want a cutting modern pizz sound with tonnes of sustain, the Belcantos are more old school with loads of thump. I much prefer the Belcantos.[/quote]

Thanks Chris, sounds like i'd best stick with the Spiros for the time being. Good of you to be so honest in a sale thread though!

Cheers

Chris