Why become a member? ×

question from a tube initiate, why isnt my little bastard breaking up!

cycrowave

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I only ask as I have UK-made LB30 #27, and mine stays clean (and gets very loud) using the "high" input, regardless of whether I play an active or passive bass through it. The "low" input gets dirty almost instantly, so much so that I don't use that input at all.

I've checked the valves in mine (JJ ECC83S x 2, JJ ECC82 x 1 and JJ EL84 x 4), and I'm going to experiment with some ECC81s instead of the 83s in the preamp stage, as per Voxpop's suggestion, soon.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='1311575' date='Jul 21 2011, 02:29 PM']I've checked the valves in mine (JJ ECC83S x 2, JJ ECC82 x 1 and JJ EL84 x 4), and I'm going to experiment with some ECC81s instead of the 83s in the preamp stage, as per Voxpop's suggestion, soon.[/quote]

I've now replaced the stock JJ ECC83s with two NOS Mullard ECC81s made for the MOD. They have made the amp perfect for me; totally clean on the high input, with just a hint of breakup from a passive bass if you [i]really[/i] dig in using the low input.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1317988' date='Jul 27 2011, 09:58 AM']I've now replaced the stock JJ ECC83s with two NOS Mullard ECC81s made for the MOD. They have made the amp perfect for me; totally clean on the high input, with just a hint of breakup from a passive bass if you [i]really[/i] dig in using the low input.[/quote]Interesting, is there any difference in perceived volume?

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1319084' date='Jul 28 2011, 10:32 AM']Interesting, is there any difference in perceived volume?[/quote]

Not that I could tell, although I will give it a good workout at rehearsal tonight. I've yet to turn mine up past 9-10 o'clock, even at gigs, as that is plenty loud enough!