Why become a member? ×

Birelli Lagrene plays Jaco - and sounds like him for real...

urb

Hey doods

While there may be a few Jaco clones around still I personally don't think anyone takes him off/pays tribute to his style better than guitarist Bireli Lagrene - who toured with Jaco when he was just 18 back in the 1980s. Lagrene was a freakish child guitar prodigy who was a gypsy jazz guitar virtuoso when he was 9 - there an amazing clip of him playing a solo spot on the mainstage at the Montreux Jazz festival aged nine and just ripping it up - it's amazing.

Anyway enough waffle - Lagrene also plays a mean 70s Jazz bass and gets the tone, technique and most importantly feel of Jaco so spot on you could shut your eyes and think it was the man himself - the fact he was a personal firend of his for years has probably helped - but then so does his immense musicianship - I shut up now - here's the clip:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_wH15a7C0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_wH15a7C0[/url]

The tune is Freedom Jazz Dance - it has a complicated melody at the end buit the whole funk jam is just in Bb7 for the whole tune.

Hope you dig it

Mike

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='105202' date='Dec 17 2007, 09:16 AM']I dig the music, and it *is* incredible playing...

but it doesn't have the dangerous edge and real emotion of Jacos playing;

it's a little too clean for that :)[/quote]

Yeah I agree - but no one can do that quite the same way Jaco did - that's what made him Jaco (love him or hate him) but I just like the fact Bireli's nailed the style and plays brilliantly - few guitarists can match this kind of 'feel' on bass...