Why become a member? ×

Varitone Jazz Bass Wiring Help

Rumple

I have picked up a secondhand Varitone Jazz control plate to try out on a project bass I'm putting together but it didn't come with any wiring instructions, could anyone tell me what wires go where, better still if someone has original instructions they could scan for me that would be great.

Thanks

R.

Here we go, a couple of pics.

It's quite simple just four terminals one for each wire, well saying that the Nordstrands I have have 3 wires but Nordstrand says the extra one connects to the same place as the black wire on most systems.

I wasn't keen on the trial and error system just in case I do some damage.

Any help would be appreciated.

[attachment=57204:VT_001.jpg]

[attachment=57205:VT_002.jpg]

Will do but I was getting a bit ahead of myself as I only have the control plate here today the body with the pups in for a project bass i'm putting together should turn up next week, I still need to sort out a neck. that's not an excuse for me talking a month to screw in 4 wires - honest :)

Here are the installation instructions: With the unit flipped over the input closest to the output jack is for the bridge pickup, left(+) and right(-). Below that is the bridge plate ground connection. The other side is for the neck pickup, left(+) and right(-). The controls are: Volume, Varitone bypass switch (up for bypass), Rotary pickup select switch (going counter clockwise it's 1 neck, 2 neck+bridge parallel, 3 bridge, 4 neck+bridge series, 5 out of phase), and the Varitone control (counter clockwise for darker tone).

Edited by ironside1966

Cheers, that will save any guess work.

my Varitone has a two way switch plaus a second 3 way one, I think the two way one will be a bypass switch, any idea what the other one does?

Basschatters to the rescue once again :)

R.

[quote name='Rumple' post='932772' date='Aug 22 2010, 02:06 PM']Cheers, that will save any guess work.

my Varitone has a two way switch plaus a second 3 way one, I think the two way one will be a bypass switch, any idea what the other one does?

Basschatters to the rescue once again :)

R.[/quote]

[size=5][size=3]Its sounds different to mine but my guess yours is [/size][size=5][/size][/size]

PUSH/PULL SWITCH MASTER VOLUME POT ( DOWN POSITION) FOR NORMAL JAZZ BASS PARALLEL WIRING. ( UP POSITION) FOR SERIES WIRING, THE MORE PUNCHY P-BASS/MUSICMAN SOUND, MORE GAIN, THICKER HUMBUCKER LIKE TONE

A THREE WAY MINI TOGGLE SWITCH FOR PICKUP SELECTION - NECK PICKUP ALONE, NECK + BRIDGE, BRIDGE PICKUP ALONE.

A MASTER TONE CONTROL WITH A TONE CAP TO ROLL OFF HIGHS ON A SELECTED TONE.

A TRUE-BYPASS MINI TOGGLE SWITCH, ENABLES YOU TO BYPASS ANY SETTING ON VARITONE INSTANTLY. GIVING YOU SEVEN TONES FOR EACH PICKUP CONFIGURATION PLUS THE SERIES MODE FOR A TOTAL OF 28 PASSIVE TONES FOR THIS UNIT!

A 6 POSITION VARITONE ROTARY SWITCH WITH DIFFERENT TONE CAPACITORS - 1 SLIGHT TREBLE CUT HI MID, 2 MORE TREBLE CUT MORE MID, 3 LOW MID, 4 WARMER MID TONE, 5 DARKER TONE (MID SCOOP), 6 DEEPER MID SCOOP TONE.

Edited by ironside1966