Why become a member? ×

My first (ever) youtube bass cover

iamapirate

erm, yes, so uhh... it's 'independence day for a petty thief' by house of heroes. I recorded it about 20 mins after picking up my bass to work it out, so parts of it are a bit rough. Took me 2 takes, and I only recorded it on the camera mic (it gets messy syncing audio if i don't) and then overdubbed the original track and tried to sync it as best i could. I think because I used the spotify track to record to and then my own local copy to overdub, the audio was out of sync at the bridge slightly making me out of time? who knows, I might record it again...

Any tips on my technique would be much appreciated. sitting down to play I find it less comfortable to play - it just kinda doesn't work for me. I'm also silly tall and my hands are huge. Thought ya might want to know.

edited for typos!

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='932304' date='Aug 21 2010, 10:15 PM']Any tips on my technique would be much appreciated. sitting down to play I find it less comfortable to play - it just kinda doesn't work for me. I'm also silly tall and my hands are huge. Thought ya might want to know.[/quote]

Hey pirate,
It's good, as already commented, the bass could do with a little more volume & clarity but hey it's great for first video!

As for technique, (I'm tall with big hands too, but a lot older :) ), if you're sitting playing a lot you need to keep your back straight & level up your shoulders. Most of your right hand action was off camera but from what i saw you probably need to work on the way your wrist is kinked over the top of the woodwork, that's not good for you long term.
Make sure your legs are not cramped too, if you're sitting on a bed you'd definitely benefit from getting a stool or similar, maybe 24" high or more, it will help a lot with your posture. Try a strap too, take time getting it set right, it will help control the bass, spread the weight & take the pressure off your thigh where it's pushing down.

HTH, keep up the good work,
Cheerz, John

Hi,
My opinion (for what it's worth,) I agree that your bass should be more prominent, good playing deserves to be heard.

[url="http:////http://davemarks.com/lessons/technique/"]Dave Marks[/url] has good advice and tips for technique, well worth a visit.

Thanks for introducing me to 'House Of Heroes'. Started to check out their albums on the strength of your cover and I'm really enjoying their music. I think I'll be spending a few quid at Play.com in the very near future.

Well done.
Regards
Mark