Why become a member? ×

Need to paint a bass, what's the best paint to use?

vmaxblues

I'm going to be using pre-catalysed nitrocellulose aerosol from Tonetech Luthier Supplies [url="http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/Lacquers-and-Paint/View-all-products.html?TreeId=1"]http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/L...s.html?TreeId=1[/url]

Give them a call, they are incredibly helpful and will tell you exactly what to do and what to use, drying times, etc.

I'll grain-fill my mahogany body, give it a coat of clear nitrocellulose as a sanding sealer, sand back with 400 then 600 grade wet & dry (used dry). Tack rag it to remove any dust.

Then it gets a couple or three of coats of white nitrocellulose. leave to dry for ten hours. Tack rag it to remove any dust, then a few coats of clear nitrocellulose. Leave it for 7 days to harden (it's pre-cat so it dries much more quickly than normal nitrocellulose).

Then it gets sanded back carefully using 400 then 600 grade wet & dry (used wet with a dash of Fairy liquid as a cutting agent). Leave for two days to fully harden off.

Then final wet sanding with 1000 grade wet & dry (used wet with a dash of Fairy liquid as a cutting agent). Then a polish with something like T-Cut.

Hope that helps mate.

The best paint finish you will normally come across is on your car, and lives a very hard life too, what with sun, frost, rain, snow, impacts bird crap (!) etc....I haven't seen any mention of automotive two packs on bass forum, don't know why, maybe a good reason.

If you did the prep' before hand and used a suitable primer this maybe a cost effective way to go?

Paint shops do use an oven but it isn't that hot, more warm.

[quote name='iconic' post='928946' date='Aug 18 2010, 07:19 PM']The best paint finish you will normally come across is on your car, and lives a very hard life too, what with sun, frost, rain, snow, impacts bird crap (!) etc....I haven't seen any mention of automotive two packs on bass forum, don't know why, maybe a good reason.

If you did the prep' before hand and used a suitable primer this maybe a cost effective way to go?

Paint shops do use an oven but it isn't that hot, more warm.[/quote]

Could just get a car shop to do it.