Why become a member? ×

Directional Dropout

Dave Vader

In all my long years of instrument abuse, I've never come across this. On my Rickenfaker, when playing with a pick, the downstroke is noticably quieter than the upstroke.

And this is not a technique thing, I mostly play with fingers, but thought I'd try a pick for a Frankie goes to hollywood track with the band. It's not a huge problem, but it is a little annoying.
I've adjusted my hipshot bridges up and down adjusters both ways, and not made much of a difference.

Although it only occurred to me this morning to try soloing the pickups and having a listen to the difference.
Mostly only noticeable on the E, but seems to be present all the way up.

Will update you later when i've had another fiddle. Just interested to see if anyone else has come across this before.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='915789' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:02 PM']Did you have to tell us about your instrument abuse? :)

I can't see that it isn't a technique issue. Even supposing there was a physical fault with the bass, to combat it you just have to pluck harder (ie. adjust you technique) on the down stroke.[/quote]

I like your theory, it didn't work yesterday, not pulling as hard on the upstroke (chuckle, sorry) worked better, though can't keep playing everything quietly.
Might just put her back in the box for a bit and play my P, like usual.