Why become a member? ×

Need help with this one!

Teddy_Hitch

Hey everyone, I am soon to upgrade my setup but I need some assistance!

Basically I need a new amp, we are playing bigger gigs now and my current one just won't go loud enough!
I currently run an old Trace Elliot head at 130 watts into a Ashdown ABM 1x15 cab, it sounds lovely and I sort of want the same tone as im currently getting, but the old trace elliots are hard to find....

Anyway I have come up with a list of amps I think look good, but I have no idea of what they are like in comparison to the trace!
Looking to spend around the £500 mark, here's the list:

Eden Nemesis EN400
Ampeg B2RE
Orange bass Terror
Peavey tour 450
Ashdown ABM500 EVO3

I hear good things about the peavey and the orange, but the others are almost a mystery!
I would go for a new trace elliot but they are so very expensive!

Hoping someone can push me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Edited by Teddy_Hitch

[quote name='Teddy_Hitch' post='915484' date='Aug 4 2010, 11:13 PM']Hey everyone, I am soon to upgrade my setup but I need some assistance!

Basically I need a new amp, we are playing bigger gigs now and my current one just won't go loud enough!
I currently run an old Trace Elliot head at 130 watts into a Ashdown ABM 1x15 cab, it sounds lovely and I sort of want the same tone as im currently getting, but the old trace elliots are hard to find....

Anyway I have come up with a list of amps I think look good, but I have no idea of what they are like in comparison to the trace!
Looking to spend around the £500 mark, here's the list:

Eden Nemesis EN400
Ampeg B2RE
Orange bass Terror
Peavey tour 450
Ashdown ABM500 EVO3

I head good things about the peavey and the orange, but the others are almost a mystery!
I would go for a new trace elliot but they are so very expensive!

Hoping someone can push me in the right direction?

Cheers![/quote]

If you're willing to fo second hand, you should be able to find trace gear around

I can +1 to the Orange, it's a true beast.

But you should think about upgrading your Cab aswell, that ashdown cab doesn't go that loud, and as it's 300w at 8 ohm you'll reach it's usable limit pretty quick.

I dunno about the specs of your trace, but 130w seems strange.
Do you know what it's outputs are at the relevant ohmage?

Edit: scratch that. If it's the head I think it is it does 260w at 4ohm.
So I would either suggest you buy another 8ohm cab rated similar to the abm1x15 or sell you current cab and look for a much better one rated 4ohm.

Edited by Prime_BASS

£500 is a good budget, but to get the best value you should buy used. You could spend it on a complete replacement rig or on an amp and save up for a new cab.

On the first 2 pages of the BC for sale forum there is a Hartke stack, several Ashdown amps, Several Ampeg amps, and Matamp, Eden and Epifani 410 cabs.

I'd get the Epifani and save for a 500watt amp to go with it. It's a very sensitive cab which will make your current amp sound a bit louder.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='915694' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:27 AM']I can +1 to the Orange, it's a true beast.

But you should think about upgrading your Cab aswell, that ashdown cab doesn't go that loud, and as it's 300w at 8 ohm you'll reach it's usable limit pretty quick.

I dunno about the specs of your trace, but 130w seems strange.
Do you know what it's outputs are at the relevant ohmage?

Edit: scratch that. If it's the head I think it is it does 260w at 4ohm.
So I would either suggest you buy another 8ohm cab rated similar to the abm1x15 or sell you current cab and look for a much better one rated 4ohm.[/quote]

I forgot to mention I will be getting a 4x10 to go with this new amp when the money allows it!

The current Trace Elliot I have is a GP7SM 130

[quote name='Teddy_Hitch' post='915750' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:19 AM']I forgot to mention I will be getting a 4x10 to go with this new amp when the money allows it!

The current Trace Elliot I have is a GP7SM 130[/quote]

Talk to alex over at Barefaced bass, he I a kind chap and replies to emails pretty quick.
Personally, if you like your trace tone, then upgrading your cab to a larger one at 4ohms or buying another 8ohm will make it go quiet the bit louder

Have you thought about simply adding a second cab to your set up ?

I think your cab is 8 ohms, add another and you'll be presenting a four ohm load to your amp which should be fine - you'll move more air and should keep a very similar sound ?

I'd try that first - especially if I was happy with my sound.

Its so easy to make an impulse buy after short listening tests and then realise its not what you want when its too late !

Cheers,