Why become a member? ×

Pre-EB experts....Your thoughts on this?

Sibob

Yes... Gav is a knowledge on the subject, helped me out a bit with mine as I had the allen key adjusters for the mutes instead of the thumbscrew... turned out to be a later EB mod.

Si... you'll enjoy it for sure, hope it doesn't break the bank!

Bob.

Yep looks pukka from here! Nice.

+1 on the missing fret dot (was it me that pointed that out on the other thread?)

Just go through the musicman.org list of things and check that they are all correct but looks all good from the pics so far.

Dont worry to much about neck date stamps, Apparently some have ink,hand written pencil,nothing or pen.whatever they had or did not have to hand so nothing to worry about if there is nothing there.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='915211' date='Aug 4 2010, 05:58 PM']Yep looks pukka from here! Nice.

+1 on the missing fret dot (was it me that pointed that out on the other thread?)[/quote]

yup, think it was you

seems like this old Ray must be a well preserved and under-used treasure.
good luck to the OP - hope he'll let us know how this story turns out and that this Ray's G string rings out deep and crisp and even

Yes lets hear all about it,There are a few clean pre EB's about and Im lucky to have one of them, Although one with loads of mojo does appeal to me too. Im going to have a play about with pup heights and stuff with mine and a full fettle from the EBS_Freak when we get time. I will put a post up with our findings after.Im wondering if lowering the E end rather than trying to bring the G too close is the answer as mine has a lot more output than my EB so I have some to spare then pump the amp up to suit.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='915247' date='Aug 4 2010, 06:48 PM']Yes lets hear all about it,There are a few clean pre EB's about and Im lucky to have one of them, Although one with loads of mojo does appeal to me too. Im going to have a play about with pup heights and stuff with mine and a full fettle from the EBS_Freak when we get time. I will put a post up with our findings after.Im wondering if lowering the E end rather than trying to bring the G too close is the answer as mine has a lot more output than my EB so I have some to spare then pump the amp up to suit.[/quote]

That is too true. With the older pre-EBs, the magnets were huge. The problem is not low volume on G but rather excessive volume from the E. Thus on my '78, the pickup is lowered on E side as far as can go. In addition Martin at the Gallery tapped the E string magnet further inside the pickup cover. String volume balance is perfect.

Thats good to know Im really looking forward to having a play with this.The E is massive on mine and I have an EB and a jazz with an EBS pre amp hidden so when I say huge you see what Im saying! Im hoping it will work out well as mine does not sound as if I have the problem as bad as some and the fact its very clean would suggest its not been used that much over the years so there has been less opportunity for setups and the like.

just realised that back in the dim darkness of 84 when i bought this 79 Ray in almost unused condition, i have just rememberd that i did have to sdjut the pup height quite a lot.

I lowered the magnet under the E sting.
Anyway as you can see this is a well-used Ray run-in almost entirely by yours truly.
It has had a few pro set-ups over the years too.
It sounds/plays spot on in every respect.

So maybe a sign of a genuine under-used early Ray could be that it may well be in need of some pup adjustment to balance the signals across the pup.

This Ray has turned up on Gumtree in Brighton,Is that where you found it and what was the outcome? If its good or I can get even more off the price Im having it! It all looks a bit dicy though and Im guessing thats why you started this original thread too? Theres no doubt about it being a pre EB ray but does it exist or is it a setup? Send me any details by pm if you would rather,Thanks.