Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA3500 amp question

blind pilot

afternoon all, Shortly will be taking delivery of a Hartke HA3500, and it comes in what looks like a 4U rack, with a grill section above the amp with the Hartke logo on. My question is..... would you know if this grille can be removed and a rack mount tuner slipped in its place, seems almost too simple?

any ideas?

cheers

BP

Edited by blind pilot

Sadly it does seem too simple. It's a 3U case. You can slide the amp out once you undo the 4 screws on the bottom of the wooden case holding it in place, but you won't be able to put a tuner in the top 1U gap that the grill occupies because it's 18 inches not 19 inches wide. The Hartke can only be racked with ears which you have to buy seperately.

I had a similar idea when I got my 5500, but that didn't work when I did the measuring so I just racked the head instead and kept the wooden case for a rainy day if I flog the amp.

Edited by Wolverinebass

I have no idea. The joke for me is that the ears attach to the outside of the amp's metal casing then onto your rack holes. If you tried to put a tuner in you'd run into problems that the rack ears of said tuner would be too wide to get into the gap and would catch on the wooden casing.

Now, the best one is that the rack ears are sold SINGULARLY. That isn't a joke. That's completely true. Who in their right mind ever racked one side of an amp?!! Then even better was that you only get the frame of the rack ear, you don't even get the screws to attach it to your amp!! As much as I like Hartke stuff in general this was taking the mickey on one too many levels for me. So I'm probably going to go down the preamp/poweramp route to save my back and keep the 5500 for backup.

I have noticed that now they've moved back to taking the amp out of the wooden casing (no doubt to save money) and they include the rack ears as standard.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Wolverinebass