Why become a member? ×

How much should I ask for this Bass?

Oggy

Hi Basschatters,

After having a good chat with myself I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to have to sell a Bass that ‘lives under the bed’, to get a Bass that I’ll actually play.

Back in 2001 I went to see the Yardbirds and fell in love with the Bass, the guitar that is not the player, although I’m sure he’s a nice boy. The Bass in question was a black Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass; never seen one before and made up my mind on the spot I was going to own one – does this feeling sound familiar to you? – Yup, raging GAS. After much searching I eventually found one at the Bass Cellar in London (Honeyburst / brand spanking new) in 2002, flashed the cash (£1,250) and she was mine, all mine.

[b]Problem[/b] – I couldn’t get on with it. Now I’m not the ‘biggest strongest player you ever did see’, I have what you might call a ‘slight build’ and I’ve got small hands. For me - I found the Bass heavy and the 34” ‘Standard Scale’ just too much to do more than a couple of numbers with before my back and shoulder started playing up and my left hand started to cramp – not good. I used the Bass at two or three practice sessions and one charity gig then put it back in its case and under the bed. It’s come out, probably every six months or so, just to look at it, dust it off and put it back under the bed – “What a waste” I hear you cry - well you’re right but I just couldn’t bring myself to admit I’d made a mistake and I’d never play it, just another one of life’s little curved balls.

[b]Help required[/b] – (My Missis has been telling me that for years :) ) The Bass is in immaculate condition, no dinks, scratches or any blemishes. If you saw it in hanging up in a music shop you’d honestly think it was new, well its not. It was manufactured in 2001 and I bought it ‘new’ in 2002. I want to purchase a Landing 32” Scale Bass from the USA (can’t get a 32” bass locally – rare as……………), it’s an expensive game buying from the US, I’ve tried locally but has ‘zip luck’ so – [b]I’d like some opinions from fellow Basschatters on what would be a fare price to ask for this Bass?[/b] The last time I saw this particular Bass for sale was some six months ago on the thoman.de web site, at that time they were asking £1,350 for one. I’ve done several searches lately and can no longer find any for sale, perhaps I’m not looking in the right places.

A few pictures of the bass and my latest attempt to get my (small) hands on a 32” Scale base can be found here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96665"]Attempt at getting a 32" Scale Bass[/url]

Thanks for reading this, sorry it’s a bit like War and Peace but I think it’s important to give a bit of background when asking for opinions.

Oggy :rolleyes:
[i]
PS. I’m playing a Short Scale Mustang and Gibson SG at the moment – both very nice.[/i]

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='910412' date='Jul 30 2010, 04:29 PM']I thinl you could hold out for 850- 900 - they are no longer produced, and are highly regarded amongst the newer les paul models.[/quote]
I bought one of these 2nd hand in 2006, and paid £675 for it, and at the time they were abt £1200 new, so what with inflation etc, in agreement with the other posts, about £800-ish. GAK at present have the Les Paul Standard bass for £1399. They are very good basses, exceptionally deep, resonant, warm lows, ideal for rock, and, for people who don`t want the usual shaped bass. Probably the only time in my bass-playing career I had non-musicians come up to me at gigs and ask about my bass.

Thank you Basschatters, It's great that you chaps have taken the time to add replies. From the advice so far (not checked out the 'evilbay' thing yet - not sure how to), it looks like anywhere between £700 - £900 :rolleyes: :

[quote]evilLordJuju Posted Today, 04:29 PM
I thinl you could hold out for 850- 900 - they are no longer produced, and are highly regarded amongst the newer les paul models.[/quote]

[quote]Tinman Posted Today, 01:17 PM
I think the general rule of thumb is in the region of 2/3rds of the market price. Especially for a pristine example.[/quote]

[quote]bob_pickard Posted Today, 01:07 PM
I reckon it'll probably top out around £7-800 quid on a good day - bung it on ebay and give it a whirl - or check out the completed listings tick box on ebay to see what they've been selling for[/quote]

I'd like to hear from any Gibson Fans out there - any of you guys tried to buy one lately? Comments on the experience (read price paid +/-, availability)?

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='910527' date='Jul 30 2010, 06:50 PM']I'd like to hear from any Gibson Fans out there - any of you guys tried to buy one lately?[/quote]

I have a very good friend who bought this [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2001LesPaulStandard.php"]Les Paul Standard bass[/url] about 18 months ago for £850. He had to search around a couple of months to get it at that price.

They are now deleted (despite some stock left in some stores maybe), and if you ask anyone that has played a few different 90s/00s Les Pauls, it is the Standard that they always rate. To be honest i'm surprised Gibson stopped making them. But they did.

So that's why I say £850-£900. As always, to some extent it depends on how quickly you need it sold.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='911462' date='Jul 31 2010, 08:09 PM']I have a very good friend who bought this [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2001LesPaulStandard.php"]Les Paul Standard bass[/url] about 18 months ago for £850. He had to search around a couple of months to get it at that price.

They are now deleted (despite some stock left in some stores maybe), and if you ask anyone that has played a few different 90s/00s Les Pauls, it is the Standard that they always rate. To be honest i'm surprised Gibson stopped making them. But they did.

So that's why I say £850-£900. As always, to some extent it depends on how quickly you need it sold.[/quote]

Thanks eLJ,

From the input I've had back (thanks to you chaps) on this; it looks like I'll have to get the Camera out and take some fresh shots before posting it for sale at £900, start at the upper end and see what happens :).

I'll get that 32" Scale Bass by hook or by crook :lol:.

Thanks again to you all.

Oggy :rolleyes: