Why become a member? ×

Done!

fatback

Well, I got me a bass. Can't believe I've let myself in for this :)

Nice bass I think: 40 years oldish, Czech, spruce top hybrid, ebony board, adjustable bridge. Strings seem fine (dunno what they are). Bought from a thoroughly nice guy.

I meant to get an all-ply, but the deal with this was too good to pass up. Action was way too low for me (yes, low) :rolleyes:, so all by myselfe-o I adjusted same. Sounds great. I'm in love.

Cheerful sidelight - just carrying it down the street and putting it in the car caused three conversations with total strangers. I can see my social life taking off nicely with this.

So a big big thanks to everyone who helped me with such patience and great advice. No way would I have taken this jump without your encouragement.

Special thanks to Fatgoogle who reminded me about an ad I'd dismissed as too far to travel and then forgotten about. A virtual pint of something flies your way :lol:

So now looking for the bits and bobs; bow, stand, pickup etc etc. And a pro setup. I've had one lesson, and I should be able to get in another before September when hopefully the local tutor man will be available again. I don't foresee being bored ever again.

My biggest fear now is neglecting the electric so much I forget how to play and my band fires me :lol:

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='907661' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:33 PM']My biggest fear now is neglecting the electric so much I forget how to play and my band fires me :)[/quote]

Hey congrats man, they're such great instruments to play. FWIW I never play bass guitar at home any more unless I'm working on some new parts for my band's songs. It's always the double bass when I get some time to practice.

Be aware that if you're buying a piezo pickup you will in all probability need a preamp for it, unless your bass amp can handle super-high impedance at its input. Neither of my Hartkes could, and all I got out was a weak signal consisting of high mids and nothing else. Added a Fishman preamp this week and finally heard what the pickup is supposed to sound like.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='908526' date='Jul 28 2010, 06:42 PM']Glad to hear you picked it up. Now the fun can begin of wondering whether 300 eyro worth o strings is really needed, and getting huge pains in area's you never thought you could. :rolleyes:[/quote]

ha ha :) Yup, weird aches in weird places. I'm going to be very well-behaved though, and try to get things right. Bye-bye the old impulsive get-stuck-in me, and in with the conscientious studious type person.

Got a luthier looking at it next week. I'll be interested to hear what he thinks of the bass.

Edited by fatback

Its so exciting, isn't it. I am finding a new impetus to my practice and am focussing on basic skills and basic bass disciplines, filling gaps in my playing and knowledge. The arco thing is a buzz (both literally and figuratively :)) and even listening to the double bass on cds etc is more rewarding.

I got a Finale French carbon fiber bow from the String Emporium in the US (£270ish) but they start at £40 (yitamusic ebay - endorka recomneds the £100 models). I got a db bass stand from DJM which is surprisingly robust for £30 and holds the bass comfortably. Pick ups - I got a K&K model for £70 (Golihur Music in the States) but that is a credible budget model rather than a must have. Plenty of useful advice on here, as you have clearly already found out!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='908915' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:26 AM']Its so exciting, isn't it. I am finding a new impetus to my practice and am focussing on basic skills and basic bass disciplines, filling gaps in my playing and knowledge. The arco thing is a buzz (both literally and figuratively :)) and even listening to the double bass on cds etc is more rewarding.

I got a Finale French carbon fiber bow from the String Emporium in the US (£270ish) but they start at £40 (yitamusic ebay - endorka recomneds the £100 models). I got a db bass stand from DJM which is surprisingly robust for £30 and holds the bass comfortably. Pick ups - I got a K&K model for £70 (Golihur Music in the States) but that is a credible budget model rather than a must have. Plenty of useful advice on here, as you have clearly already found out!![/quote]

I haven't been this excited since... well.

All this shopping is quite fun too once you get that reckless feeling going. I'm not the type that spends much on gear these days, so that's fun too. Totally guilt free - why is that?

The Yitamusic bow, definitely, but i won't have a teacher until late September, so no hurry there. I've already ordered the stand you mention, and the k&k looks perfectly adequate until I make a sound worth worrying about.

About to go for an AE Doubler I think, seeing as it'll save me £100+ by not needing a preamp. I'll get enough grit for electric with my DHA VT-1 pedal, hopefully.

I won't say sorted, but nearly there.

And as you say, all thanks to the amazing info and help on BC. As they put it round here: 'where would you get it?'

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='909677' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:45 PM']OK, tomorrow, hopefully :)[/quote]

Here she (or he?) is:

Why does imageshack turn everything on its side?

I feel like one of those parents who sits you down where you can't escape and forces you to look at 100 seemingly identical pics of their little darling.

I can truly say though that he's walking already (albeit unsteadily :rolleyes: ).

Anybody have an idea what maker this is?

Edited by fatback