Why become a member? ×

Strap length

Marvin

I was practising this afternoon (that's everyday this week, I'm ever so proud :) ) and by chance slackened off my strap a bit to make a little longer and my playing improved, well a bit. My fretting hand works better but aches more, so I'm a bit stuck. My plucking hand is markedly improved though, previously I felt all hunched up. So I'm a bit sort of perplexed as to whether to keep it lower or persevere with a more text book height. It certainly feels better lower and I could play the piece better, but my hand ached after.

Edited by Marvin

I am forever going in circles on this one - I can never seem to decide what strap length suits me best. I guess the aching is likely due to using the muscles slightly differently, as long as it never becomes pain I would stick with it and give it some more time.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='897459' date='Jul 17 2010, 05:59 PM']I like my strap adjusted so that the bass is in roughly the same place standing as it is when I am sitting down but sitting up straight and the bass is resting on my thigh.[/quote]

This is what I've been adhering to for the last 6 months since I've started practising properly. However, I find my plucking hand feels restricted and hunched up. With the longer strap it feels much easier, especially for using 'floating thumb' to mute, that's probably just me. I've played a little more since posting this thread and must admit to being a little concerned about the reach of my fretting hand though. It is restricted and a little choppier. I may have to find a compromise height. It's OK at the moment as I'm not playing anything particularly taxing but I should imagine anything above plodding pop music may get awkward for me.

[quote name='Marvin' post='897473' date='Jul 17 2010, 06:22 PM']This is what I've been adhering to for the last 6 months since I've started practising properly. However, I find my plucking hand feels restricted and hunched up. With the longer strap it feels much easier, especially for using 'floating thumb' to mute, that's probably just me. I've played a little more since posting this thread and must admit to being a little concerned about the reach of my fretting hand though. It is restricted and a little choppier. I may have to find a compromise height. It's OK at the moment as I'm not playing anything particularly taxing but I should imagine anything above plodding pop music may get awkward for me.[/quote]
As well as height of the bass, the angle of the bass to the body is important. Parallel with the floor may make left hand more difficult when the right hand position is correct. Forty-five degrees to the floor (i.e. headstock raised) may make both hands feel more comfortable - but that means getting the balance on the strap over the shoulder correct as well as the strap length.

Edited by EssentialTension

Thanks for your posts ET and Bloodaxe. I've played around a bit and, yes you guessed it my strap is back up where it was, the thread title may look a little silly now :) However I also looked at the angle of the neck and adjusted the position of the body in relation to my body slightly and I think I may have found a comfortable position that hopefully will see me make some improvements in my playing.
I've also got to stop practising sat on the sofa, it's not good.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='897459' date='Jul 17 2010, 05:59 PM']I like my strap adjusted so that the bass is in roughly the same place standing as it is when I am sitting down but sitting up straight and the bass is resting on my thigh.[/quote]

I'm with this, the same boring rule of thumb...It works! Practice sitting down? no problem, same as standing up! :)

I used to have my strap at about leg height when I started playing...god knows why, I just slung it like that.
Then when I got into slapping and bettering my technique years later the strap went up, up to about chest height once and whereas I could play and see my bass clearly, I too felt hunched up, like I was screwed up into a tight ball.
Now I have mine as I typed at the top. It's nice and snug to my torso and feels the same sitting or standing.

After having a lesson on Tuesday, my strap length has gone a little higher so I now also play with the bass in the same position sat down or stood up. Also, the tutor pointed out my fingering on my fretting hand was not all it could be. Unfortunately changing is proving a little difficult and I can only play for about 15mins at a go at the moment as it stretches my fingers a lot (old habits die hard). There is no way I could get a decent technique with a low strap.

Overall then a pointless thread. :)