Why become a member? ×

Broken Neck....

So, I just bought a double bass a month ago and have been learning it pretty diligently since....really enjoying it.....and then someone knocks it over from an upright position and the neck breaks off.

I'll try and get some photos, but the neck broke pretty cleanly (at least, to my eyes) and looks repairable. Is it possible for a good job to be done with such things? Also, is there anyone in Belfast/Northern Ireland that can do it? Just putting out feelers, gonna phone a few string player friends later on and ask them about it. I'm not touching the bass because I'm afraid of doing more damage. Strings are still on etc.

Obviously I'm a bit angry and totally gutted, but this is the way of life I guess.

Cheers, any help would be really appreciated.

Dan

Sorry to hear your bass has broke. A good luthier should be able to sort it, it's just finding a good luthier near you.
Good idea asking around your string friends.

Someone here has mentioned a chap that splits his time between Ireland and the USA but I can't remember his name (the member or the luthier). He has a shop and does all kind of work.I don't think he's up north though. I'll have a dig and add an update if I find it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=79947&view=findpost&p=767979"]Here's a post that mentions him[/url]. Tom Barrett in Galway.

Edited by TPJ

Yeah spoke to a player I know (Damian Evans) who suggested him but Galway is a bit of a trek since I don't currently own a car. Apparently there is a guy in Portadown who does repairs and stuff and knows what he's doing. Going to get on the phone to him later this evening and see what my options are...

Thanks very much for the help by the way, I appreciate it....

Really hoping it won't be too expensive or difficult to fix....it snapped off right where it meets the body and none of the strings, bridge etc seem damaged so it should be ok....

Hey Daniel -

Drop me a PM with your number. I had the same thing happen to mine and had an amazing repair done by a good friend who works in Avalon Guitars and Lowden's before that. He's down in Comber, so not too far from you. Fear not - help is at hand. I also get work done by a guy that works on the Ulster Orchestra's bass's, so there's a few options.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='897052' date='Jul 17 2010, 01:43 AM']Hey Daniel -

Drop me a PM with your number. I had the same thing happen to mine and had an amazing repair done by a good friend who works in Avalon Guitars and Lowden's before that. He's down in Comber, so not too far from you. Fear not - help is at hand. I also get work done by a guy that works on the Ulster Orchestra's bass's, so there's a few options.[/quote]

Bass is basically a write off. [attachment=55297:P1010574.JPG]

[attachment=55296:P1010570.JPG]

As can be seen, the break is at a really awkward location. There is really nothing there to support gluing it back on, because of the grain of the wood etc - it won't hold to playing tension. My only options are to either have a new neckpiece carved, or start hunting for a new bass.....

Luckily, I got most of the money I spent on it back on insurance.....just such a damned shame I'm going to have to try to find something of similar quality for the same price....really enjoyed playing it....

Let me know if you see any good deals on well priced decently made basses, haha.

Dan

[quote name='Daniel Acheson' post='909674' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:41 PM']Bass is basically a write off. [attachment=55297:P1010574.JPG]

[attachment=55296:P1010570.JPG]

As can be seen, the break is at a really awkward location. There is really nothing there to support gluing it back on, because of the grain of the wood etc - it won't hold to playing tension. My only options are to either have a new neckpiece carved, or start hunting for a new bass.....

Luckily, I got most of the money I spent on it back on insurance.....just such a damned shame I'm going to have to try to find something of similar quality for the same price....really enjoyed playing it....

Let me know if you see any good deals on well priced decently made basses, haha.

Dan[/quote]

why would you think it's not repairable ?

those sort of breaks (when it comes to headstock repair) are much easier than any other as the break follows the grain - if it was end on then there's much less chance of success (and needs a lot of work for it to stand a chance)

if someone brought a break to me like yours I'd be pretty confident that a good wood glue and a few clamps would do the job with no problem at all, and the join should be stronger than the wood (so if it suffered a similar accident then the wood would break, not the glue joint)