Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reggie Hamilton MIM Jazz Bass.

dave_bass5

After a failed attempt at a Fender Classic 70's Jazz im now looking for something else and just came across the above (i dont really pay much attention to Fenders).

It looks ideal other than its an active. I really dont want a bass i have to worry about unplugging after a set etc.
I know i can run it passive though so its not a big deal.

A couple of questions.

Can the bass be run without a battery (or a dead battery)?
How does it feel play compared to a standard Jazz? its the neck im interested in. It seems like a standard Jazz neck so i guess i wont have any issues with it.

Any other comments welcome

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='budget bassist' post='896528' date='Jul 16 2010, 01:55 PM']I haven't tried a standard jazz actually, but the neck is undoubtedly the best part of the bass, IMO, very slim and fast!
I *think* it can run without a battery, though i'm not sure. I don't see what's wrong with active basses, though the preamp in that particular bass is rubbish.[/quote]

Cheers.
No, nothing worng with active basses in general i agree. I love the tone of my Ray34. Its just that i have a Sadowsky outboard pre to cover that. I also dont want to have to remember to unplug the bass after each set or risk it going dead on me. I guess im a bit paranoid.
And if the pre in this bass isnt that great thats another reason for not wanting to use it.

[quote name='Rayman' post='896669' date='Jul 16 2010, 04:08 PM']Shame, I was just about to post something along the lines of 'don't buy a MIA jazz whatever you do, the Reggie Hamilton is a much better bass'.

:)[/quote]

LOL, im sure it is.

It certainly ticks more boxes than a bog old standard Jazz but i do have an issue about paying for something i wont use, and the active part of the bass was putting me off.
That and the fact that there is no tone control in passive mode (yes, i do use it)

I did think the black version looked almost perfect though.