Why become a member? ×

Help...

gusto

Yes its definately a Hofner, says Hofner on the body, top left, and engraved on the bridge.
Not sure what the mods would be as the bridge is also engraved Hofner. It has a switch and two control knobs as seen in the picture,
the switch goes either R or S.
There is no label inside, and I cant find any serial numbers etc anywhere on it.
I have looked on loads of Hofner sites but cant find one with that bridge/switch set up.

Any ideas welcome.

[quote name='gusto' post='893802' date='Jul 13 2010, 03:08 PM']Yes its definately a Hofner, says Hofner on the body, top left, and engraved on the bridge.
Not sure what the mods would be as the bridge is also engraved Hofner. It has a switch and two control knobs as seen in the picture,
the switch goes either R or S.
There is no label inside, and I cant find any serial numbers etc anywhere on it.
I have looked on loads of Hofner sites but cant find one with that bridge/switch set up.

Any ideas welcome.[/quote]

There was a guy on one of the hofner collector sites that you could email, and he could spot anything, he got my congress down to a 1956, just by looking at the tailpiece. Sadly that was 10 years ago, is there a contact on any of the sites you looked at? There's some proper hofner nuts out there. They can help.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='893966' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:34 PM']There was a guy on one of the hofner collector sites that you could email, and he could spot anything, he got my congress down to a 1956, just by looking at the tailpiece. Sadly that was 10 years ago, is there a contact on any of the sites you looked at? There's some proper hofner nuts out there. They can help.[/quote]

There are a few and I posted the pics in a couple of Hofner forums too. Have had a few different reactions though. Some say 1960's 455 and someone said as it is plywood (did I mention that on here?) and has the white binding it could be much earlier than 60's. The bridge and pick-up are hofner, but additions to the original guitar?
I cant seem to find any pics of one like it anywhere though, especially that bridge pick-up set. Also with the pearl head stock with the tortoise shell(?) diamond/rhombus shaped inlay and the pearl fret board inlays.
Im taking it to a luthier as it has some damage, but not sure what to do with it.
Options are fix it up to a 'keep areound the house' level, total restore and sell or sell as is. But the reason I bought it was because I just thought it looked lovely, so will really only want to sell it or even fix it up if it is worth spend ing the ££ to make £££?

Robbie from RIM Basses has it at the moment, He and John from Coda Music are going to have a look at it. The neck it split away from the body, but looks like it just needs re-gluing as its original glue has given up the ghost.
They are going to give it a once over and let me know what the options are.
I'm still unsure weather to sell it if its worth a few quid or just to keep it myself. But I do really like it, and feel strangely attached to it already, even though I cpould use the £££ from a sale fund my bass GAS.....

IIRC one of my mates got the same upgrade back in the early 60's - the 'new electronic pick-up' was a Hofner made 'bolt on' made to screw to the bottom end of the neck & the controls console made to fit over the tailpiece. Probably very collectable now if it still works & no reason why it wouldn't!

Cheers,
John