Why become a member? ×

Dorian vs. Aeolian modes for grooves for a minor chord

I've heard from a few players that they prefer Dorian's softer sound than the full on Minor'ness (sic) of the Natural Minor. Certainly in some instances Aeolian is a bit much, depends on the song really!

Si

It's because the Aeolian mode has a minor 6th degree (eg C-D-Eb-F-G-[b]Ab[/b]-Bb-C). This is a semitone clash with the 5th of the scale, which is one of the most stable intervals (and right after the octave in the overtone series), and also a chord tone for both triads and 7th chords. As the Dorian mode has a major 6th degree (e.g. C-D-Eb-F-G-[b]A[/b]-Bb-C), it tends to sound better against a straight minor 7th chord. There is of course a semitone difference between the major 6th and minor 7th (A-Bb), and this is slightly dissonant (as is playing a major 6th over any minor chord), but less so than a minor 6th against the 5th. The one place the Aeolian tends to be used is in a VI-II-V-I progression (e.g., Am7-Dm7-G7-Cmaj7), because if you look at the modes of the major scale, the Aeolian is the sixth mode (A Aeolian in the key of C), so fits the VI chord (Am7 here) well. The Aeolian is not wrong, just a little more dissonant over a given minor or min7th chord.

Edited by XB26354

Definitely agree with what XB said, but you also need to bear in mind that whilst there's a good theoretical explanation for it, it all comes down to what sounds good to you. Using the dorian gives a different flavour, try it out, but I also really like the 'hanging' sounds of the minor 6th, so I use the aeolian too.

Remember; music is about what people think sounds good, the theory to explain it always comes along later :)

Edited by samkeen

Obviously XB is completely right! But yes, experiment and use what YOU think sounds cool.
As Mr Steve Lawson (and many others) would say...There's often a difference between what is right and what sounds good :)

Si

I did quite a bit of music theory as a youngster but have since stuck rigidly to the advice of - I think - Billy Sheehan (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) who, when asked what the best thing to learn was, said 'everything...then forget it'. Previous posters explanations of the difference between the two modes couldn't be bettered. But as both they and others have implied (and, indeed, stated), does the [i]knowing [/i]make the slightest bit of difference to which sounds better to you? If I [i]think[/i] about what I play at all these days I just look at everything as a variation on the major scale - either directly or indirectly. And seeing as I often use chromatic passing notes all over the place too mostly what I play is... a bunch of notes that sound good to me in a particular musical context.

Pip pip!

I think you'll find he was quoting Charlie Parker - "learn the changes and forget 'em". The basis of this quote is to know the information forwards, backwards and upside down until you don't have to think about it. Then you can just make music based on what you hear.