Why become a member? ×

Ashdown EB15-180 +cab

simmatt

Hi, i have an Asdown electric blue 180w 15" combo amp which i have had about 2 yrs. but recently have joined a band and teh volume of teh amp isnt cutting through the drums guitar and vocals enough.
at the min its runnig with its built in 8ohm speaker but ashdown have told me that 180 w only comes with 4ohm speaker which the amp can handle.
would i be best buying a single 4ohm 15" speaker to plug into the amp head or an extra 8ohm speaker to add to the original speaker
the head has 2 output ports so would not be a problem for wiring
thanks for your advice in advance

MB1. :)
Depends on whether you want to carry an additional cab to rehearsals?
Try contacting Ashdown they should be able to help should you wish to go down the 4 ohm 15" route
Ashdown Engineering... 01245441155.

Hiya

I found myself in your position last year with an identcal piece of kit. I'd bought the EB180-15 combo to rehearse with in a small cellar, which was more than enough power on tap. I started to struggle when we started gigging competing with 2 guitarists, I was hitting lots of red lights on the VU !! I decided to add an extension speaker and got a Hartke VX210. TBH I didn't notice too much difference on stage.
I ended up buying a Hartke HA350 amp and used the 2x10 with this for smaller gigs and band rehearsals and have added another 1 X15 cab for max revs!!
What I'm saying is - think it through before you add an extension cab, it might be worth buying a bigger amp altogether if you're going down the gigging route because you're going to come to a stage sooner or later where the EB is out of its depth. I use mine for home practice these days and obviously its there as back-up if required.
C
PS my extension cab was 8ohms

Edited by steelman