Why become a member? ×

8 ohm amp into a 4 ohm cab?

Dubs

How much damage should/could it do to the amp?

Just asking cos I left my amp in the 8ohm position after using it with my 8ohm practise cab, then plugged it into my 4ohm TecAmp L410 and used it for a high volume 4 hour practise. It handled it fine and didn't overheat or anything, I just noticed now that I didn't put it into the 4ohm position on the back of the amp.

Basically, do I have anything to worry about if I regularly forget to change the ohmage of the amp when I'm using different cabs? My understanding is that having the amp set to 4ohms with an 8ohm load should be fine, but the other way round could start to blow stuff up, which is exactly how I had it last night...

If the amp and cab sound ok now, in the correct impedance, then you may be lucky and may have gotten away with it.
My understanding is that in loading the amp incorrectly, you can damge both the amplifier´s output secton and the cab.
Check it through properly at a decent volume to see if ether hisses or crackles etc.

Maybe put a sticky note on the front or back panel of your amp to remind you about setting the impedance before switching it on?

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='891294' date='Jul 10 2010, 02:07 PM']Maybe put a sticky note on the front or back panel of your amp to remind you about setting the impedance before switching it on?[/quote]

That's a good idea. Everything sounds fine though, I was just wondering if it was a case of 'getting away with it' or not...

[quote name='RichardH' post='891303' date='Jul 10 2010, 02:26 PM']I imagine this is a valve amp we're talking about.[/quote]

Class D solid state amp. It was one of the Orange Terror Bass amps, great little thing, couple of 12AX7s in the pre section though.