Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz output issues....sorted!

I have been having a lot of problems with the output from the G string on my MIM Fender J Deluxe....the bass was bought and made in 98 when they still came with the single pole pickups. Ever since i've had it I've had an issue as it seems that the strings don't really line up with the poles on the pickups!

Anyway...I was wondering whether you guys think the output problem might be due to the pickups? although it's fine on E A and D...
It is a great bass otherwise and i've had loads of compliments on the sound over the years....

If it is the pickups is it worth replacing them with the newer fender vintage noiseless? or should i maybe replace the pre amp with a J retro or something?

Any help appreciated, especially if you've heard of this problem before!

Dave

Edited by davebass66

is there any chance someones swapped out the neck pup? The pole spacings on the bridge pup are a little bit wider than on the neck, it looks to me like you have 2 bridge pups in there.
String spacing (from centres of E to G) at bridge pup is 56mm, at neck it is 52-53mm. With the G being the thinnest, lowest output as well as a pickup pole a few mm off centre, this would explain a lower output from the G. I assume you've tried raising the treble end of the pup nearer the string to try and compensate for lower output?
I would think proper neck pup double pole pieces would address this if you are ok about disrupting its vintage (well, only 12 yrs) integrity.

Edited by Al Heeley

Hhmmm... they do look like completely different pickups.

TBH, I've never seen a Fender Jazz with only one set of pole pieces. My guess is a dud pole rather than the spacing. I'd get the swapped out for something decent and no need to waste money ona J-retro, fine thing that it is, but that isn't where your problem lies. Check your measurements for you may need to ge a luthier/repairman to do a wee bit of extra routing.

Thanks for the response guys, appreciate it....
Al, Definitely not 2 bridge pickups, pulled them out and checked today...Have also got the treble end of the pickup raised high..
I have no qualms about disrupting it's 'vintage', it's a mex and is my workhorse bass, just want it to sound as good as possible..

Stacker, i too have not seen a J bass with single poles since it's purchase some 12 years ago....clearly it was a brief and unsuccessful experiment!

I am going to call Wizard Pickups and get some 64's fitted i think as i tend to play with flats on it....any idea whether this will be suitable for an active deluxe?
If it still isn't right i think i'm going to investigate a replacement bridge.....any recommendations? Badass or Gotoh etc? not sure of the difference if I'm honest!

Dave

Have you tried a heavier G string?

I must admit i dot have a clue what im talking about but i suffered from a weak G string on my Ray34 (still do to an extent) but getting a heavier G string and messing with the EQ did help a lot.
Could it be that you use a low of low end boost and so the G sting (not having a lot of low end feq) is getting a bit lost? Just a thought.

I have a set of Squier pups that came out of my CV Jazz (replaced with some Wizards) that your welcome to borrow to test out weather it might be those old pups or not.

The weak G's on the stingrays is a common grumble from owners (of which I am proud to be included) - I don't understand why the pickup pole is so much lower than the A and D string ones, if indeed that is the cause. Anyway, gone o/t a bit.
Give it a try with some Wizards, I've heard only great things about their Jazz puppies.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='888351' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:03 PM']The weak G's on the stingrays is a common grumble from owners (of which I am proud to be included) - I don't understand why the pickup pole is so much lower than the A and D string ones, if indeed that is the cause. Anyway, gone o/t a bit.
Give it a try with some Wizards, I've heard only great things about their Jazz puppies.[/quote]

Its really nothing to do with the pup IME. i have a Nordy 4.2 in my Ray34 and its only marginally better (at most). Its all about freq IMHO. too much low end and the G just gets lost.
Thats why i mentioned EQ above, it could just be the G sting is getting swamped by the fuller other three strings (im probably talking rubbish though)

As mentioned above, i got some Wizards put in my CV jazz and they sound fantastic. I can almost get a P tone from the neck pup now. Very thick sounding. I did order some 84's but found them too dark so Andy sent me some custom 74's and these are just perfect. If i ever sell the bass im going to keep the pups, assuming i get another Jazz.

Those pickups don't look right at all. Well, the bridge one at least.

Who told you that the noiseless ones are newer? I've a P Bass Special from the same series as this, round about the same age, albeit passive not active. That came fitted with US standard pickups. I thought all the active ones always came with the Noiseless.

That's what's in the Fender parts lists too.

I reckon someone at some point has whipped out the factory pickups and put the ones you've got in.

I'd just change the pickups for some you want with the correct (standard Fender) pole spacings.

Good news!!
I ordered some 64's from Andy at Wizard today...hoping to have them by friday....also ordered a Gotoh replacement bridge just cause i hate the standard one.....

Fingers crossed this will help...should certainly improve the overall sound i would think??

RE someone swapping the pickups, i guess it is a possibility....I actually bought the bass out in LA and brought it home with me, it was brand new with all the usual garb that accompanies them...someone could have done in the shop i guess? odd thing to do eh?

No one told me that the noiseless were newer, i just presumed....haven't done much research so i just thought that the single poles were a trait of that series....

curiouser and curiouser!

Also thanks for the offer of borrowing pickups, appreciate it.....however as i say i decided to dive in and buy some wizards.....will keep you posted as to whether they are a success!

Dave

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='888769' date='Jul 7 2010, 06:11 PM']That's good news about the wizards. They will be a good upgrade, even if you weren't having issues.
Look forward to the outcome.[/quote]

Deffo. If someone did nick the factory pickups... who knows what they put there!

Just did a bit of research and found this;

'American Deluxes produced between 1995 and 1999 were initially available with "single-pole" pickups designed by John Suhr. These were soon changed to the Bill Turner-designed dual-coil Ceramic Noiseless units with nickel-plated (gold-plated on certain models) polepieces until the advent of the Bill Lawrence-designed Samarium Cobalt series in 2004.'

From Wiki admittedly but might shed a little light on why my pups were single pole?!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Ok so I actually did the upgrade on my bass back in July, I just kept forgetting to post the result!.....

In short it is an incredible difference! the Wizard 64's are fantastic, Front pickup gives me a great 60's thumpy sound and back pickup has bite and clarity....I use La Bella quarter rounds on it...

The Gotoh bridge has improved the sustain at least 5 fold! I have to admit i'm surprised it made that big a difference....

All in all I feel i essentially have a new bass for about £100!

String output issues have been solved, having twin poles in the pickups has cleared it all up......I even ended up fixing a long standing dodgy tone control while i had the bass opened up....the tone control on it is actually really good, I often find tone control can sound either on or off but this actually has a really good sweep....

So in conclusion i have fallen back in love with my J bass and now use it for a lot more work.....threw some pics in for good measure... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your advise on this guys! :)