Why become a member? ×

Sales lesson learned

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I'm sure we've all done it at some time....we see an item on ebay similar to the one we own and out of curiosity, we add it to our 'watch' list, just to see what it fetches in case we wanted to sell ours in the future. No? Just me then :)

When I saw a Peavey TNT160 just like mine, I did just that. Now I know I got a great deal on mine from BC's very own 'Alien' but I'd never expect it to fetch £175 if I sold it on eBay like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170506280821&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]this one[/url] just did. I did notice when checking on it from time to time that the seller had posted how many watchers the item had...."30 watchers and less than 24 hours to go, good luck" .... do you think that this has anything to do with the inflated price? I was expecting it to go for between £125 and £150 if I'm honest.

Edited by bassman2790

Guest MoJo

[quote name='dumelow' post='884832' date='Jul 3 2010, 02:57 PM']i think when the item ends plays a big part of it too. if that was ending on a friday night at half 9, maybe 20 of those watchers wouldnt have been online, compared to maybe a monday night at half 6[/quote]

Very true. I got up early this morning as a Hartke Kickback 15 I'd been watching was ending at 6:15am....on a Saturday. I was so tempted to bid as I used to love my Kickback 12 but really didn't fancy the drive from the Midlands to Lewisham to collect....It went for £100 with one bid!

What a stupid time to start/finish an auction. Better to pay the 12p or whatever it is for a scheduled start

[quote name='Protium' post='884974' date='Jul 3 2010, 06:28 PM']I tend to end my items on a sunday evening, the rare ones that go on ebay that is :)[/quote]
Yep - start at around 9 - 9.30pm on a Thursday, 10-day listing so there's 2 weekends to pick up watchers/lowball bids, & ends on Sunday night. Seems to be a good formula for me.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='885404' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:37 PM']Yep - start at around 9 - 9.30pm on a Thursday, 10-day listing so there's 2 weekends to pick up watchers/lowball bids, & ends on Sunday night. Seems to be a good formula for me.[/quote]
That's the one, perhaps with a quick check of the telly schedules to make sure it's not competing with something of significance.

[quote name='tauzero' post='893896' date='Jul 13 2010, 04:31 PM']That's the one, perhaps with a quick check of the telly schedules to make sure it's not competing with something of significance.[/quote]
Quite. My last auction finishing during the World Cup final last week possibly wasn't the best example of forward planning. :)

J.