Why become a member? ×

When playing 8th notes...

[quote name='3V17C' post='885475' date='Jul 4 2010, 02:05 PM']I always use 3 fingers on my right hand so the downbeat is on a different finger each time... as long as its consistant though I don't really think about it

and yes.. Steve Harris only uses 2 fingers apparently..

peace

C[/quote]

Same as me. It tends to vary a lot though if I'm raking or string skipping, I just sort of "feel it" out though. If I think about it too much I end up tying myself in a knot!

RMIR MIRM IRMI is my usual pattern for 8th notes. I use MIRMI MIRMI when we break out the NOFX drumbeat though and that works a treat too!

Edited by Wil

Index finger, I just use the two.

A question for the 3 (or 4 even :) ) finger pluckers, do you not have problems with your middle finger being longer than the others and making notes uneven? I play with my bass at a bit of an angle so my index isn't that much further from the string, but my ring is miles away, if I played it with my hand more at a right angle, it's odd having my index and ring futher away. I'd love to be able to get it, for some reason, my right hand doesn't like fast groups of 3s (triplets or accents).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='888038' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:50 AM']Index finger, I just use the two.

A question for the 3 (or 4 even :) ) finger pluckers, do you not have problems with your middle finger being longer than the others and making notes uneven? I play with my bass at a bit of an angle so my index isn't that much further from the string, but my ring is miles away, if I played it with my hand more at a right angle, it's odd having my index and ring futher away. I'd love to be able to get it, for some reason, my right hand doesn't like fast groups of 3s (triplets or accents).[/quote]

I did to start with, but much like flamenco guitar playing I just bend the finger joins to even the distance out a bit, and it all seems to come out fine and even.