Why become a member? ×

gigs needed

ive already stuck this into the gigs section but thought i would chance my arm here too as I know the gig section rarely gets viewed by the masses.

Hola all,

just a wee check,,,,,my band are having a gig a month sometimes 1 every 2 months. is there any promoters, bands who need more bands on their bill or pub owners that want a wicked rock/blues band to star in their venue.....

Please PM me with any offers/advise.

Cheers
Steven

Don't do gigs for gigs sake, IMO.

Way too many bands and pubs out there scratching around.
As for getting the ones that are deemed worth it, it will be hard to get it. If the venue is doing it right, they will have a roster of the top bands they can attract and will not be up for letting that percieved standard drop..so you will have to hard sell and do it well.

Check out the venue so you know whether it is your type of thing, and then drop them a package, with promo stuff, website and CD. Maybe go in there at a less busy time and do the chat face to face. They might be too busy to 'bother' otherwise.

It is all footwork and I am not sure anyone would sell your band better than you. Bands are two a penny these days and getting into new better places is hard work. No real shortcuts, AFAIAC, and dodgy agents are as numerous as dodgy bands.

I'd slicking up the website and then get some tracks put up..so people can hear what you sound like...

Steven.
Have you tried Sammy Dows in Nithsdale st Glasgow? Your knid of music would go down well in there. Unlike us who died the death of a thousand deaths!

Try Rockers in Midland st, McSorleys in Jamacia st and The Clutha Vaults in Stockwell st.

Also, there is an overabundance of your type of band, all trying to get the same gigs, so my advice would be to get a decent demo, get out there and see as many bands as possible and as said before, get talking to the people who book the bands and try and build up a relationship with them. It`s the old chicken and egg syndrome, they book people they know.

Jez

nice one chaps, i think the most important thing is to get a demo sorted, or at least get something on that website with us doing something rather than looking sweaty!!!!!!!!!!!

Jez, my guitarist plays in a band called Lie detector who play clutha vaults. He said he aint sure about us in there. However as they mainly play sunday afternoons im sure it would be different on a friday or saturday night.

Ok then chaps main thing now is a demo, I think there are a few placed in glasgow doing 8 hours for 200bucks. does this seem right???? how many tracks could you get for that and also what kinda setup is the norm for recording i.e live playing recorded, getting recorded individually????

Get a copy of this:
[url="http://www.gig-getter.co.uk/"]Gig-getter book[/url]

It tells you how to build up your regular gigs, how to build on successes and how to address bookers etc etc
It's for bands looking to play more pub and club gigs so spot on what you are after.

If you implement all the tips and tricks in there you should be OK.

You do need some media but if you are already gigging then it should be relatively easy to get re-booked, assuming you are entertaining enough....
Of course if you want to play places where it all depends on you bringing a big crowd every time that's a different thing ...

If you need to address how entertaining and professional you are that's really a different subject...

Not sure I like the idea of a studio workout to get gigs...you are a live band so a live demo should be the ticket IMV..otherwise it is a bit fraudulent.

We put a few recordings from a Zoom device onsite and it does the job...
Failing that then a live studio recording is second best... as long as you sound like that live.

A difficult area, perhaps...