Why become a member? ×

Tight truss rod

stewblack

My better half against my better judgment went out and got central heating fitted now all my bass necks are shaped like long bows. So how hard can it be to tighten truss rods. Well on one of them bloody hard it turns out.
Any tips?
I loosened the strings, took a deep breath put a 6ft length of pipe on the allen key for a bit of the old leverage and still the bastard won't move.

Stew

2 tips

Slacken the strings.

Sit on the floor, put the bridge between your feet, the back of the body/neck against a knee and gently but firmly push the neck straight while adjusting the rod.

This will take the strain off the trussrod.

If this doesn't make it free-er take it to a luthier.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='97431' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:10 AM']Stew

2 tips

Slacken the strings.

Sit on the floor, put the bridge between your feet, the back of the body/neck against a knee and gently but firmly push the neck straight while adjusting the rod.

This will take the strain off the trussrod.

If this doesn't make it free-er take it to a luthier.[/quote]
Thank you Oh king of all things Green. I desisted when I had what we recovering alcoholics call "A moment of clarity" as I thought about the torque I could apply with the pipe. The posh bass I tried next tightened up a treat and restored the action with a quarter turn. 1 up for Musicman. I've alerted my splendid guitar tech that he may be needed.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='97504' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:12 AM']Does the truss rod loosen? If so take it back a 1/4 turn then try going forward, if it stops in exactly the same place then it 'may' be that the truss rod is at its limit! In which case your trusty tech may well be needed.[/quote]
Yep - it's off to the expert. Thanks everyone.