Why become a member? ×

Eden or Ampeg cab?

fraff

Picked up an Ampeg B5R head the other day which, whilst not the most flexible head in the world, covers the things I need, playing in a heavy r'n'r / doom / garagey kind of band. Super simple to dial in usable tones and the clean/OD channel blend works nicely for me.

I'm now looking for a cab to go with it. I'd kind of assumed, being a bit of a traditionalist (or at least someone who played through the 80s and 90s :) ) that I'd match it up with an Ampeg cab, and was thinking of a 410hlf. But having seen this - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78537"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78537[/url] - I'm wondering what people thought about fixing up this head with the Eden 410XLT? There's a fair bit of g**tar action going on in the band - 2 guitarists - and a cool 60s Vox Continental / Hammond organ too, so it might be useful for me to have a set up that 'cuts through' really well.

What do you reckon cab-wise - ampeg or eden? The Eden is a bit more costly than an Ampeg though too.

Alternatively, would anything in the lightweight area do the job for me - like the look of the Barefaced Super Twelves, but doubt I could easily pick one up S/H...

Cheers

Ian

I'd always take a decent Eden cab over Ampeg every single day of the week..and that is one of Eden top cabs, IIRC..
but you'd need to hear it with the amp...IMO.

Some brands match up better than others and the Eden does have its sound.
Way better cab, IMV, but better matchup,,,not sure..!!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='882459' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:24 PM']I'd always take a decent Eden cab over Ampeg every single day of the week..and that is one of Eden top cabs, IIRC..
but you'd need to hear it with the amp...IMO.

Some brands match up better than others and the Eden does have its sound.
Way better cab, IMV, but better matchup,,,not sure..!!![/quote]

Do you mean the mid punch of the Eden? I'm thinking that might be just what I need in the band setting! That XLT's just gone, but they do seem to come up form time to time here.

I don't find the cabs neutral but they need the mids so they cut through.
I personally like them and the sound, but I don't know if your amp would be a good match.

With these sorts of cabs..that can be a tad harsh or brittle up close, you will likely hear evey little thing you play...and maybe aren't as forgiving in that regard.

I would think the Eden would cut through better that an Ampeg, and would sound very good off stage. But that cut ability will come with
a sound pretty close up to the cab that might be hard to handle.

I am not sure how much power you need...but the Aguilar GS410 cab might work if it is still about.
Agree that Eden pop up here a lot and are good value second hand.