Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette Fretless - Opinions

Linus27

[quote name='silddx' post='882034' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:24 PM']They re-profiled them last year. My fretted has the thicker neck from 2007, my fretless is the new, much thinner one. Note that this is depth, not nut or neck width.

I find my Warwick necks are uber fast.[/quote]

They've been reprofiled a number of times I believe. As a whole, they do seem to have got thicker from the 80s examples. (I know that the Corvette was not around then - I'm talking about a general Warwick trend).

In retrospect, I guess the whole definition of a fast neck is meaningless. It depends what the individual considers "fast".

What models of Corvette are we talking here? I wonder if the Corvette changed it profile when manufacturing moved from Germany to Korea? EDIT - looking at silddx sig, it looks like he's comparing a German $$ with a Korean STD. Could explain the profile difference.

Also interesting to read others viewpoints here - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-270628.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/inde...p/t-270628.html[/url]

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='882049' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:31 PM']They've been reprofiled a number of times I believe. As a whole, they do seem to have got thicker from the 80s examples. (I know that the Corvette was not around then - I'm talking about a general Warwick trend).

In retrospect, I guess the whole definition of a fast neck is meaningless. It depends what the individual considers "fast".

What models of Corvette are we talking here? I wonder if the Corvette changed it profile when manufacturing moved from Germany to Korea? EDIT - looking at silddx sig, it looks like he's comparing a German $$ with a Korean STD. Could explain the profile difference.

Also interesting to read others viewpoints here - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-270628.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/inde...p/t-270628.html[/url][/quote]
Damn, you are right I think. My 'vettes are German. They have moved production to Korea for the Corvette Standard bolt ons, not for the Standard NT though which are still German series. I can't keep up with Warwick at the moment.

Agree about the fast thing, what I mean is, you can be as fast as you like with no impedance from the neck.

My waxed german [b]ovangkol [/b]necks are not at all sticky :) They are lightning fast :rolleyes:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='882049' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:31 PM']They've been reprofiled a number of times I believe. As a whole, they do seem to have got thicker from the 80s examples. (I know that the Corvette was not around then - I'm talking about a general Warwick trend).

Also interesting to read others viewpoints here - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-270628.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/inde...p/t-270628.html[/url][/quote]

No, the profile changed before they moved to Korea. My Corvette has a very thin skinny neck and is one of the last German made ones from late 2009 or very early 2010. The previous Warwicks I have played had much chunkier necks.

[quote name='Linus27' post='882117' date='Jun 30 2010, 04:34 PM']No, the profile changed before they moved to Korea. My Corvette has a very thin skinny neck and is one of the last German made ones from late 2009 or very early 2010. The previous Warwicks I have played had much chunkier necks.[/quote]

Cool. I never understood why Warwick went down the treetrunk path... mind you, there must be people out there that like the chunky necks... or they wouldn't sell.

I suspect the move to Korea was a bid to keep the Corvette STD in the line whilst driving down prices. I'm guessing the same CNC code that were used on the final run in Germany also moved to Korea. All being well, the profiles and dimensions *should* be the same...!

[quote name='Linus27' post='881523' date='Jun 30 2010, 12:23 AM']Just checked out your fretless Corvette. Man that is perfect, just what I would get. Stunning. Is it active or passive?[/quote]

It's passive :) . 1999 german model. Strings are shot, but ordered some new ones for it, sounds amazing with flats though, shot or not.

It's amazing what you can pick up on ebay for £350 :rolleyes:

[quote name='goblin' post='882445' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:18 PM']It's passive :) . 1999 german model. Strings are shot, but ordered some new ones for it, sounds amazing with flats though, shot or not.

It's amazing what you can pick up on ebay for £350 :lol:[/quote]

Damn I hate you :lol: £350 is killer although that does seem right after looking at what similar fretless Corvette's have sold for on here. So when you selling it to me :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='882458' date='Jun 30 2010, 09:24 PM']Damn I hate you :lol: £350 is killer although that does seem right after looking at what similar fretless Corvette's have sold for on here. So when you selling it to me :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, that was including postage from Isle of Man too!! And a Warwick gig bag, although both Warwicks live in Hiscox cases when I'm out gigging. Found a slight problem where they don't fit in my new car though :)

I'll consider selling it when I'm wealthy enough (or can tempt my dad into) to get a Wal fretless. Got a fretted one which is killer it has to be said.

In all seriousness, upgrades I'd consider would be a guild, overwater or an active corvette fretless. But I'd need a lot of tempting. It is in all fairness my main gig bass so has a bond with me, as do other people and their instruments :lol:

I would highly recommend you get your hands on one.

[quote name='goblin' post='882513' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:03 PM']Yeah, that was including postage from Isle of Man too!! And a Warwick gig bag, although both Warwicks live in Hiscox cases when I'm out gigging. Found a slight problem where they don't fit in my new car though :)

I'll consider selling it when I'm wealthy enough (or can tempt my dad into) to get a Wal fretless. Got a fretted one which is killer it has to be said.

In all seriousness, upgrades I'd consider would be a guild, overwater or an active corvette fretless. But I'd need a lot of tempting. It is in all fairness my main gig bass so has a bond with me, as do other people and their instruments :rolleyes:

I would highly recommend you get your hands on one.[/quote]

Yep, my beady eyes are looking for one. To be honest, I know what you mean about having a bond with an instrument. All my basses are very very good yet very different. However, I don't really need my fretted Corvette but its a stunning looking bass and plays and sounds amazing. I really don't think I could part with it. There is something about it that is so magical.

Why would you upgrade the Corvette to active. My passive sounds great but then I have not heard an active one.

Just for a bit of extra beef if anything (or Quorn for the vegetarians :) ) The fretted Corvette in the same thread as the fretless I only got a few weeks ago for around £500. It started life as a passive, and then it was sent off to John East for a once over, including a passive to active conversion, and to be honest it's just the business. There's a much more dynamic sound than I get from the fretless.

[quote name='goblin' post='882595' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:46 PM']Just for a bit of extra beef if anything (or Quorn for the vegetarians :) ) The fretted Corvette in the same thread as the fretless I only got a few weeks ago for around £500. It started life as a passive, and then it was sent off to John East for a once over, including a passive to active conversion, and to be honest it's just the business. There's a much more dynamic sound than I get from the fretless.[/quote]

Cool thanks for the info. If I'm honest, my passive Corvette can sometimes sound a little thin. On the other hand it can also sound very precise and beautiful so I guess I can't have it both ways.

It's like that with a lot of basses. I'm still looking for a bass that literally does it all, but i don't think it will ever show up, or if it did, it would cost silly money. When I'm gigging with my rock band, for a long set I'll use two basses. Fretless Corvette and it was the Wal, but it's now the active Corvette, just set differently, just because they give completely different sounds. One sounds completely different to the other.

If I'm doing something like a folk gig, I'll nip out with the fretless and the 'leccy double, or for something more funky, just the fretted Corvette will do the job :)

And they say guitarists have ocd :rolleyes:

[quote name='goblin' post='882979' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:55 PM']It's like that with a lot of basses. I'm still looking for a bass that literally does it all, but i don't think it will ever show up, or if it did, it would cost silly money. When I'm gigging with my rock band, for a long set I'll use two basses. Fretless Corvette and it was the Wal, but it's now the active Corvette, just set differently, just because they give completely different sounds. One sounds completely different to the other.

If I'm doing something like a folk gig, I'll nip out with the fretless and the 'leccy double, or for something more funky, just the fretted Corvette will do the job :)

And they say guitarists have ocd :rolleyes:[/quote]

It's true what you say although my ESP does cover every angle thanfully. When I was in an indie folk band, a Precision was too dirty and muffled and a Stingray was too unique sounding and cluny. I found a smooth sounding Jazz worked the best. When in a punk rock band, it had to be a Precision. If I was doing something mellow or acoustic then I would grab the passive corvette.

Anyway, I will keep looking for a passive Corvette fretless. They seem to sell for around £300 - £350 which is perfect for me.