Why become a member? ×

SORTED! Where's a good place to get a custom body in the UK?

xilddx

Thinking of putting a Chris Squire Electra style project together. I can get a routed blank from Warmoth for about $140 but with shipping and customs, etc. it's not worth it.

Any ideas or recommendations where I could get one made in the UK? Preferably drivable from London. I'm not looking for expensive woods, just a decent bit of ash or alder, shaped and routed to my specs, I'll supply the drawings and I will do all the finishing myself.

Cheers!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='877721' date='Jun 25 2010, 07:59 PM']Thinking of putting a Chris Squire Electra style project together. I can get a routed blank from Warmoth for about $140 but with shipping and customs, etc. it's not worth it.

Any ideas or recommendations where I could get one made in the UK? Preferably drivable from London. I'm not looking for expensive woods, just a decent bit of ash or alder, shaped and routed to my specs, I'll supply the drawings and I will do all the finishing myself.

Cheers![/quote]
Try Paul Waters hes in Bishop Stortford tel 01279 310 106....Although famed for his arch top Jazz boxes he will build just about anything...such as the best T-Line tele Ive ever heard or owned...The blokes an artist with wood...

T

Edited by tino

[quote name='silddx' post='877721' date='Jun 25 2010, 07:59 PM']Thinking of putting a Chris Squire Electra style project together. I can get a routed blank from Warmoth for about $140 but with shipping and customs, etc. it's not worth it.

Cheers![/quote]

I do hope when you get this project going, you'll be keeping us updatied in 'Build Diaries' as it sounds intriguing.
I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue though as to your original question. But plenty of pics please.

Right! I have a friend at work who's a part-time luthier, and although he is incredibly busy, he's agreed to make a mahogany body to my spec and a mirror scratchplate for it. All for the cost of materials. About £30! Awesome!! Of course I will insist on giving him more than that, and a decent bottle of single malt.

In terms of the neck, hardware and pups/tronics, I have just ordered a B-stock Warwick Rockbass (with the old Rockbass logo) Streamer Blackhawk set from Thomann. It comes with a Warwick Sweet 30w amp, strap, cables, chav cap, stand and gig bag. £264! F£$%&* bargain!! I'll sell the Streamer body and the gigbag, but I may well keep the amp. Never owned a bass amp before :) I wll strip and reshape the headstock to something a bit more in keeping.

Really excited about this now! I want this to be my main gigging bass.

From this ..
[attachment=53198:Streamer2.jpg]

To this :rolleyes:
[attachment=53199:CSELive2.jpg]

Edited by silddx

I've got a similar question as well.

I'm thinking of putting together a short scale jazz bass, and I would only need the body.
I would use a 30" Moses Graphite neck and provide the hardware & electronics by myself.

I've looked into Warmoth and it seems to be the easiest way to go,
however before making any decisions I would prefer to look into other options as well.

Anyone got any builder recommendations? Can be located anywhere within Europe.
I would prefer websites/emailing rather than calling to another country.

Edited by Larmer

[quote name='silddx' post='879937' date='Jun 28 2010, 03:05 PM']Never owned a bass amp before :)[/quote]

Seriously???

I was going to suggest SIMS (expensive though) but I see that you are sorted anyway.

I'm looking for a replacement Jazz V body myself. My current one is too new and shiny and new so I'm feeling way to precious about it!

[quote name='arsenic' post='880026' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:27 PM']I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

The Rockbass was a good idea - and a bargain.

Have fun.[/quote]
Me too! It's not going to be a replica, just similar. I'll keep all the Warwick pups, eletronics and hardware.

[quote name='Golchen' post='880011' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:16 PM']Seriously???

I was going to suggest SIMS (expensive though) but I see that you are sorted anyway.

I'm looking for a replacement Jazz V body myself. My current one is too new and shiny and new so I'm feeling way to precious about it![/quote]
Seriously yes :) I've had various home studios for twenty years so I use the POD and the desk/monitors. For live I let the PA do the work.