Why become a member? ×

Start my first project of a 4 strings bass...

RuiJRocha

Ok good people,

Please advice me about this choose for a neck-thru design

Iwould like to have a warm and full and sharp (defenition) sound.

[b]Wood:[/b] Mahogany ; Ash ; Izombé

[b]NECK[/b]
Mahogany and Izombe in slice of 5mm

[b]FRETBOARD[/b]
Ebony

[b]BODY[/b]

sandwich of Mahogany and ash

Give your though please

Cheers
RR

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='876429' date='Jun 24 2010, 02:06 PM']What kind of truss rod I must use??

Or I just can put two carbon square pipe in the inside?

Cheers
RR[/quote]

I think you should probably use an adjustable truss rod. Get yourself a dual-action one but whatever you do though, do NOT glue it in!

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='876429' date='Jun 24 2010, 03:06 PM']What kind of truss rod I must use??

Or I just can put two carbon square pipe in the inside?

Cheers
RR[/quote]

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='877158' date='Jun 25 2010, 10:46 AM']I think you should probably use an adjustable truss rod. Get yourself a dual-action one but whatever you do though, do NOT glue it in![/quote]
Don't just put a couple of carbon pipes in it, get yourself a proper truss rod [url="http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/"]Luthier Supplies[/url] Try Luthier Supplies, they post all over the world. I think Thomann do them too. If you get a double action or U section one you only need to cut a shallow, flat bottomed channel. Looking good :)

They're all good. Gotoh are usually the cheapest, Schaller and Hipshot are about the same cost-wise. With Schaller you get beautifully designed and packaged hardware whereas Hipshot give you a wider choice of materials, shapes and sizes for bass hardware. It's all good stuff though.

[quote name='henry norton' post='879010' date='Jun 27 2010, 05:45 PM']They're all good. Gotoh are usually the cheapest, Schaller and Hipshot are about the same cost-wise. With Schaller you get beautifully designed and packaged hardware whereas Hipshot give you a wider choice of materials, shapes and sizes for bass hardware. It's all good stuff though.[/quote]

Thanks for the support

But i´m still stuck

I don´t have any experience in buy those stuff so one help would be great

[b]Tuners:[/b]

Gotoh what model?

Schaller what model?

[b]Bridge:[/b]

Gotoh maybe the 201

Schaller ???

[b]Pups [/b]

I would like a PJ configuration

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English

Cheers mate

RR

The first thing you should ask yourself is what type of tuners do you want? Big, old school fender style tuners or modern smaller lightweight tuners? Personally i think this style of bass would look nice with the older big fender style tuners. That's just MO though.

So 2 types of tuners.

Old School:
I bought GOTOH fender style tuners and i think they're pretty good quality, certainly fine for what you would want it for. The only issue really is the mass of the tuners. Hipshot make these type of tuners called "ultralite" which look like the big fender tuners from the front but are a lot lighter in mass and have a smaller footprint so are easier to place on the headstock. But they are expensive and if your body is heavy enough already then you might not need them to avoid neck dive.

Modern:

Although i don't think this bass would look as good with modern style tuners, the ones to look out for are GOTOH GB7s and hipshot "Y" tuners. Again, GOTOH are cheaper but the hipshot tuners have that quality feel about them. Not that GOTOH are bad quality whatsoever.

As for bridges, I think you're pretty much onto a winner with that GOTOH 201 bridge, my bass has that style of bridge and what i like about it is the fact that you actually have proper screws to adjust intonation which is just a lot easier than having to use allen wrenches and adjust everything by hand imo.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='879719' date='Jun 28 2010, 11:42 AM']The first thing you should ask yourself is what type of tuners do you want? Big, old school fender style tuners or modern smaller lightweight tuners? Personally i think this style of bass would look nice with the older big fender style tuners. That's just MO though.

So 2 types of tuners.

Old School:
I bought GOTOH fender style tuners and i think they're pretty good quality, certainly fine for what you would want it for. The only issue really is the mass of the tuners. Hipshot make these type of tuners called "ultralite" which look like the big fender tuners from the front but are a lot lighter in mass and have a smaller footprint so are easier to place on the headstock. But they are expensive and if your body is heavy enough already then you might not need them to avoid neck dive.

Modern:

Although i don't think this bass would look as good with modern style tuners, the ones to look out for are GOTOH GB7s and hipshot "Y" tuners. Again, GOTOH are cheaper but the hipshot tuners have that quality feel about them. Not that GOTOH are bad quality whatsoever.

As for bridges, I think you're pretty much onto a winner with that GOTOH 201 bridge, my bass has that style of bridge and what i like about it is the fact that you actually have proper screws to adjust intonation which is just a lot easier than having to use allen wrenches and adjust everything by hand imo.[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts ...

I´m steel searching.

[quote name='gilmour' post='882587' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:35 PM']Looking good, very impressive for your first build.[/quote]

Thank you,

I saw (your website) and come from you those words are even more important for my first project and my ego too. :)

Kind Regards
RR

Your hardware looks fine - the good thing about the Schaller 3d bridge is it gives you some choice regarding string spacing so you can tweak it to suit. The tuners will last for decades too; Regarding pickup choice have you sorted out your fundamentals yet? Do you want active or passive, hot, vintage or modern clean? There are plenty available in PJ configuration.

Just to get you started;

Active pickups like EMGs - very clean, clear and crisp, (some say harsh) sound
Passive hot - DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders or Wizard Thumpers (I think) more rocky with less highs but high output
Vintage - Seymour Duncan Vintage, Wizard Trads & 64s, Lollar lower output & more range made to sound like classic originals
Modern clean - Bartolini & Villex. Barts are quite full range but some say a bit bland, villex are closer to actives in range and adjustablity - quite popular right now

Choice of pickups makes the biggest single difference to your sound (maybe other than choice of strings) but luckily most name brand pickups are pretty good. Individual choice is very subjective so it would pay to start a separate thread in the 'bass guitar' section to get some opinions on pickup choice.

Hope this helps.

I make a newbie mistake

Received the Schaller BMFL tuners but the mounting plates are to big for my headstock, now i don´t now if the BM series (same price as BMFL) suit or I must order the M4S series but the M4S is almost double price.

So I am in the meddle of the bridge sort of speak.

:)

[quote name='RuiJRocha' post='890429' date='Jul 9 2010, 02:17 PM']I make a newbie mistake

Received the Schaller BMFL tuners but the mounting plates are to big for my headstock, now i don´t now if the BM series (same price as BMFL) suit or I must order the M4S series but the M4S is almost double price.

So I am in the meddle of the bridge sort of speak.

:)
newbie[/quote]

As i have already said, you could try seeing if the hipshot ultralite tuners would work? They're quite expensive too unfortunately though. Sorry man.