Why become a member? ×

Chadwick Folding Bass- Great alternative to hire bass/EUB

gcordez

Anybody seen/heard about these basses?

[url="http://foldingbass.com/"]http://foldingbass.com/[/url]

Had the pleasure of meeting and spending a bit of time with Charlie, who is one of the most pleasant and genuine people you could hope to meet. I was sceptical about this bass for al the reasons that you would be, but i saw/played/heard and have since toured with the bass and its fantastic. Its a bonafide double bass, plays great, amplifies even better than my 100+ year old german bass with the Full Circle pickup (which is really important to me as i do pop stuff etc and hardly ever get a chance to mic...) The hardcase is compact and can be flown on airlines and is under the excess baggage charges. It also means that i dont have to freak out on the white van tours anymore, no chance of snapping the neck or bumping the bridge etc. The case has wheels, so i manouver around london with no problems as well. This is a serious alternative to hiring basses in Europe (in my experience, they are usually terrible with terrible pickups) and it means you can avoid the EUB route as well if you wanted.

Im happy to hire it out to touring bassists as well, feel free to get in touch if you wanted/needed it for shows/tours etc.

Steve Amadeo knows about these badboys also, i just cant speak highly enough of it. I got it weeks ago, but waited to tour and gig with it to really get a feel for it before posting.

Did you buy the one that Charlie brought over with him recently on a tour? I was going to try and meet him in Sheffield or York but busy work meant I missed out on meeting him and seeing/trying his bass. He was very helpful via emails.

What are your impressions of the long term durability of the moving parts and the stuff you take on and off? Also, how's the acoustic volume/tone?

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='873310' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:49 AM']Did you buy that the one that Charlie brought over with him recently on a tour? I was going to try and meet him in Sheffield or York but busy work meant I missed out on meeting him and seeing/trying his bass. He was very helpful via emails.

What are your impressions of the long term durability of the moving parts and the stuff you take on and off? Also, how's the acoustic volume/tone?[/quote]

Yup, i bought his one from him. As far as long term durability goes, the design looks a really good one and i think itll hold up well. It was a bit of a concern at first, but after quite a few pack downs i feel confident about it. Also, Charlie is such a good bloke that i feel comfortable that he would rectify any problems that may arise. The acoustic volume and tone of it is good, not as loud and complex as my 100 year old mittenvald, but it actually amplifies better than the old girl- which is kind of annoying. The amped sound of it with the full circle works really well and i havent needed to use my DYN-B on it.

So far, so very good.

Hey Greg, yes, I looked at these around the time I was buying my bass and thought it was pretty clever, had good reports too. I'm impressed you bought one and pleased you like it.

As soon as I get some free time again :rolleyes: I'll invite myself round and have a look :)

• 2 weeks later...