Why become a member? ×

Marshall VBC 412 Speaker Cab

Lozz196

Marshall VBC 412

4 x 12 speaker cab, with no tweeter. The cab is the same size as the regular guitar 4 x 12, so looks the same, as the front is tolex, not grilling. Comes with castors, which are needed, as it is fairly heavy, 49 kg, plus, wider than the usual Hartke/Peavy/Ampeg cabs - dimensions 765 x 760 x 383. Power handling 400 watts at 4 Ohms.

I use a Marshall MB450 head, and previously used the matching MB 410 speaker cab. With the 410, all eq set flat, I had to have the volume on approx 4 with my band. For gigs I also added a Peavey 210 TVX cab, to get a larger, not louder sound.

This VBC 412 has changed all of that. I now at gigs can`t have the volume on any more than 2, and the sound is much deeper, and more well-rounded. This cab really fills out the bottom-end and lower-mids, whilst the highs are certainly not lacking. It is a very old-school sound though, so probably wouldn`t suit everyone, but for punk and classic rock, this cab excells. In addition, for those wanting one powerful cab, rather than a 2x10 & 1x15, or 4x10 & 1x15, this I have found to be the answer. In fact, the surface area of 4x12 is the almost the same as 6x10, so same air being pushed, easier on the back. On its own, it is more powerful than my previous 2 speaker cabs combined, and with a far better sound. I suppose you have to expect this, when you spend £500 on a cab, as oppose to £230, but this cab has blown me away as to how it performs. It really is that good in my opinion.

Marshall may not have a reputation for bass gear, but I think that is largely due to their success in the guitar-world, and many assuming that a company can only excell in one field. So, for those considering Marshall gear, let your ears decide, not any preconceptions. Lets make Marshall big in the bass world!

Great review.

I have 2 of these bad boys, driven by the VBA400 and while the size and weight won´t impress the class-d/lghtweight fanboys´ (or most people´s) backs,
the sound cannot be argued with. Pure, big-air moving, bass-goodness!

After getting the halfstack, I HAD to get a second VBC412! I got lucky in finding a second one for very little money.
Nothing says rock and roll/big ego ( :rolleyes: ) like a Marshall stack!
My only problem is that I´m not a big lad, so shifting it could be a pain, but I do have a drummer and a roadie who are both fit and healthy, so stacking it isnt really that much of an issue :lol:

I also have an Ampeg SVT 4PRO and 610HLF-which I have wanted since day 1 of playing, but the Marshall just has the edge.

Anyone considering these cabs-stop considering and start buying!
Your back may not thank you, but your ears will :)

Edited by basshead56

• 3 months later...

Update to my review - I now use a Marshall DBS 7400 amp thru this cab, and am even more knocked out by it.

This cab loved the MB450 Head, but is positively infatuated with the DBS - a much better pairing, and the cab really shines.

Must review that DBS.................