Why become a member? ×

Line 6 UX2 Pod Studio ~ latency through USB connection only

Ou7shined

I tried asking this on the Line 6 community support pages but they seem worse than useless - lot's of question with no one to answer them.

Just got a UX2 Pod Studio. Hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5739G - win7 64 bit - all new system drivers etc.

The problem is I get bad latency (~1/3rd of a second or so) from my speakers using the USB connection but none with headphones direct out the front. But if I take a line out of the UX2's headphone socket and put it in my line in (or mic) on my laptop I get no latency at all. :)

Is this right? :wacko:

I've tried adjusting the buffer size slider to no avail.

The sales blurb said "say goodbye to latency with Line 6 Pod....". So far I'm not very impressed.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='869169' date='Jun 16 2010, 03:47 PM']I tried asking this on the Line 6 community support pages but they seem worse than useless - lot's of question with no one to answer them.

Just got a UX2 Pod Studio. Hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5739G - win7 64 bit - all new system drivers etc.

The problem is I get bad latency (~1/3rd of a second or so) from my speakers using the USB connection but none with headphones direct out the front. But if I take a line out of the UX2's headphone socket and put it in my line in (or mic) on my laptop I get no latency at all. :)

The sales blurb said "say goodbye to latency with Line 6 Pod....". So far I'm not very impressed.[/quote]
No latency when you put the phones out to the line in would be right. The computer's not having to convert the 1's & 0's from the USB back to sound, 'cos it's coming in as sound.

I used to have latency problems recording with the POD's I have and it did seem to be the buffer as I recall. Had to switch it low if I remember right.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='869169' date='Jun 16 2010, 03:47 PM']I tried asking this on the Line 6 community support pages but they seem worse than useless - lot's of question with no one to answer them.

The sales blurb said "say goodbye to latency with Line 6 Pod....". So far I'm not very impressed.[/quote]

When you say 'via' USB - do you mean that you are listening to audio through recording software? If you are I think I know where your problem is.

You need to monitor the direct signal from the POD - not the audio track of the software. for example, in Reaper you would set the 'Recording Monitor' to 'OFF' - Otherwise, you would hear your bass tone fed through the computer and software, which will add horrendous latency. It's hard to describe - but I had the UX-2 as well and found that in certain configurations it was unusable - but when set up correctly, I had to issue at all. I own an X3 live and also a GX and have no latency problems.

Let me have some more info' about your set up and we'll see what we can do! I am also on Win7 64bit.

[quote name='dood' post='872356' date='Jun 20 2010, 01:47 AM']...You need to monitor the direct signal from the POD - not the audio track of the software.....[/quote]
I was beginning to think that this is what I'm doing wrong. But I just don't have the connectors (or powered monitors for that matter) to take my audio out of the rear of the UX2. If this is that case, I think the best I can see to do is to just use headphones for recording/mastering and take a line out of the h/phones socket into my line-in for less critical operations. The thing is I often use my lappy > Logiteck 2.1 speakers for livingroom jamming and it's a pain to have to switch primary output device each time I switch from outboard to onboard.

Hopefull there's a work around Dood.

Acer Aspire 5739G - Win 7 64bit, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 4 Gb ram..... GT 240M (I'm just showing off now :)).

Yeah, I agree - I've recently moved my lappy away from my AV system - and I don't have a decent set of monitors at the moment either - so - yeah - it's studio earphones all the time - which isn't ideal! I won't use laptop speakers - pretty pointless with bass guitar - at least with my laptop, anyway! YMMV! ;o)

I can only just trump you with the spec - mine's similar but on a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo instead - not that it makes much difference!

Actually I hadn't thought about putting it through my hi-fi. [/facepalm]
If I had a long enough cable I could go h/phones out > Aux in my NAD system. I don't really like using it for anything other than music/dvd though as it's high quality tends to accentuate any failings of the source media.... which actually might work out really well with recording etc. Thanks for the inspiration.

Regarding pc speakers, my logitech z-340 2.1's are very reasonable for bass - I can only have them up a squeak because of the neighbours - and have a very unexpected ability to produce decent audio, considering. These are pretty ancient (I must have bought them 5 years ago) so if a set turns up grab 'em I say. I recently bought a set of new logitech 5.1's for my high spec gaming rig on the back of these but was left feeling kinda deflated - these are much nicer except of course only being 2 channel.

I'd discourage you from using the earphone output into the HiFi - You'd be better nipping down to Maplin and getting a lead to take the main 'Analog outs' output into the HiFi. The UX2 treats the earphone output differently to the main line out and in certain configurations will add it's own 'line 6 cab simulation' to that output - not really what you want entirely when plugging in to your Hifi.

But yeah, I too have a nice system that I have used as monitors for ages and it sounds great - however, in a moment of madness I have moved the laptop - well - I say madness - more, lack of space!!

Thanks for the pointers on the monitor front. I have my eye on a powered set of monitors for later - but my budget won't let me and my bank manager may have a seizure! lol So I think 'on hold' is the phrase to use!

Good call Dood.
Although I try to avoid our local Maplins if at all possible (seriously the staff are all tards - I was in there recently for components, confused the hell out of the assistant with a rudimentary question, asked to speak to the manager who it turned out couldn't even tell the difference between a capacitor and a resistor :) ) but with a something like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-1-4-Mono-Jack-2x-Phono-RCA-plugs-5m-cable-lead-/170431568876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27ae835bec"]these[/url] (not exactly Van Dammes) I can give my UX2 it's own dedicated channel on my amp.
Cheers again.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='872709' date='Jun 20 2010, 04:11 PM']Good call Dood.
Although I try to avoid our local Maplins if at all possible (seriously the staff are all tards - I was in there recently for components, confused the hell out of the assistant with a rudimentary question, asked to speak to the manager who it turned out couldn't even tell the difference between a capacitor and a resistor :rolleyes: ) but with a something like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-1-4-Mono-Jack-2x-Phono-RCA-plugs-5m-cable-lead-/170431568876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27ae835bec"]these[/url] (not exactly Van Dammes) I can give my UX2 it's own dedicated channel on my amp.
Cheers again.[/quote]

Heh heh - yeah, I know what you mean about some shop staff - just...well.. you described it well! Yup, that's the leads I was thinking of. :) - No wurries! Happy to help always!