Why become a member? ×

Anyone had success using a Motu 828 with Cubase?

Biggsy

I have a MOTU 828 (Mk1) and used to use it with Logic (for PC) to do all my recordings.

Logic was a real pain in the ass; I admit I'm not one to sit and read the manual before I get stuck in, and setting it up to record multiple tracks was easy enough, but anything further than that was a mystery - not even slightly intuative (perhaps becuase it's mainly a Mac application) and the instructions were none too helpful.

I've started using Cubase SX 3 at work, and love it to bits. I've been working mainly with synths and samples (no audio recording yet, just use of an M-Audio midi control unit with VST's etc) and have found that all aspects of the editing / mastering process are so intuative, and I find everything where I expect it to be.

I want to start using Cubase instead of logic for my audio recordings, as well as use the MOTU to output my synths (played in Cubase) to a PA in a live situation. The trouble I'm having is that no matter what I try, I cannot get Cubase to recognise the MOTU; I've installed the 828's most recent drivers, setup the AISO drivers for Cubase and the MOTU and run numerous system tests, but I just can't seem to get them to work together.

Is anyone having success with this setup? Or does anyone know of any incompatibility issues between the MK1 MOTU 828 and Cubase? Hundreds of google searches later and I'm still none the wiser; I know it's a stab in the dark but thought someone here might be able to help shed a little light?!

Edited by Biggsy

I think you're right, if it works for Mac there's no reason it shouldn't on PC, and cheddatom agrees;

I don't know what more to say really, it's more than likey me doing something wrong but I can't select the MOTU as either an 'in' or an 'out' for any audio channel. I thought I wold be able to select the MOTU as an output of a VST instrument, but it's not an option. I also expecteed to be able to connect my DI to an input on the MOTU, create an audio channel in Cubase and select the particuar channel from the MOTU in order to be able to record audio, alas, again, the MOTU isn't an option..

In the device setup menu, if I go into the control panel for the AISO settings the MOTU is visible as an input and an output port - if I toggle their status to 'active' and move them to the top of the list, and run a buffer/sync check, Cubase reports back that the configuration is fine. However, this still doesn't make any channels of the MOTU available as inputs or outpusts of any audio channels. Strangely when I restart Cubase after this, it runs the Buffer and Sync check automatically and fails.

This is where I keep getting stuck - I've followed the setup instructions to the best of my knowledge, I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong. Does anything I've said stand out as an error to anyone?!

When you go on device settings, and you choose the ASIO driver, you choose the motu driver yeh?

And then, when you click to change the audio inputs on a channel, what are the names of the options you have?

You might have to create a number of VST inputs, routed from the motu, and you can do this in the vst inputs panel.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96674' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:11 PM']When you go on device settings, and you choose the ASIO driver, you choose the motu driver yeh?[/quote]
Yeah

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96674' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:11 PM']And then, when you click to change the audio inputs on a channel, what are the names of the options you have?[/quote]
I'll check this tonight when I get in, although I'm pretty sure it was just 'Microsoft GS Wavesynth' (or similar) and 'AISO full duplex driver', which is the same as my work computer that's never seen a 'Mo-Fo' :S

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96674' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:11 PM']You might have to create a number of VST inputs, routed from the motu, and you can do this in the vst inputs panel.[/quote]
Ok cool, many thanks for your advice! I'll have another fiddle tonight and let you know what happens :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96703' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:41 PM']The ASIO full duplex driver should only be available if you have it selected in the device setup. I would have thought that it would be MOTU ASIO or something, indicating that the motu driver is activated, not the standard ASIO driver.[/quote]
That's what I thought too - fingers crossed I've just not set it up right.. I'll give it some time over the weekend, hopefully work it out. Cheers again!