Why become a member? ×

Need help with DIY Jazz

Hi, so I'm primarily a 5-6string player...Moved away from a 4 ages ago because I wanted the extra range...I've since come to realise that for my current band, I only need a 4string, a hipshot d-tuner wouldn't hurt of course, but that's all part of the plan...

So yes, I wanted to get your advice! Because I know diddly-squat about basses, even less about anything remotely fender related...Basically, there's a few aesthetic requirements, I know what pups/bridge/tuners I want (I was also looking at those warwick just-a-nut I's, the brass ones, they looked pretty cool!)...So basically, I want either a nice Ash body (not sure how much this'd cost me) for a natural finish, or I could settle for a basswood finish an paint it yellow an get all black hardware. I also want a block&bound neck, cos it looks killer! I guess I would prefer a 5string, string it E-C, but I'm going to settle for a 4string for this band, it's all I need after all...It'll take some getting used to again!

I was thinking of buying a vintage modified squier jazz, replacing the pups etc, seems the cheapest route to get what I really want...Is this wise? Or is shelling out the extra 300 worth it to get a '70s fender? Is the difference between the two just the hardware? I'm probably going to change everything, from the tuners to the electronics...

What's the QC on the squier? would I be safe ordering one online? Or is it really a try-before-you-buy sorta thing? Anyone around London willing to let a young'un have a quick go on their vintage modified squier? I'd rather try at least one to make sure the neck is definitely ok...I doubt I'll have much trouble, it's a jazz bass, an I'm used to playing an ibby 6, so it's not like the neck will be too wide for me!

Thanks for any/all advice!

If you're in That London, why not investigate the delights of the forthcoming [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72161"]London Bass Bash[/url] in the frozen wastes of Friern Barnet?

Usually a clutch of Jazzes at these, some of 'em even Fenders!

Pete.

A friend of mine has a vintage modified, and in terms of build and feel, it really is good. The neck on it feels lovely too, but then again, I love jazz necks. :)

The only thing I'd consider changing would be the pups; I feel that there's more growl to be had from it - especially with the 70's bridge pup positioning. Also, it weighs a ton, as the body is maple. However, if you're used to extended range basses, it shouldn't be a problem for you!

Another one to consider (and I'm sure that I won't be the only person to recommend it) is the classic vibe jazz. I've played a few, and they would all be killer basses at double their price! The quality control seems to be spot on.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='867558' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:19 PM']I feel that there's more growl to be had from it - especially with the 70's bridge pup positioning. Also, it weighs a ton, as the body is maple. However, if you're used to extended range basses, it shouldn't be a problem for you![/quote]

Actually on a similar thread someone helpfully measured their bass and confirmed the VMJ has the standard spacing. However I agree, acoustically it sounded very warm and like there was a lot you could do with it.

Excellent...an yea, I'm sure I'd survive the extra weight...I wanted to put in the SD 1/4 pounder pups, cos every bass I've played with them in has growled like hell, but with a really nice clear tone, I love it.

I was thinking about the CV, but I really REALLY want the bound&blocked neck, as horrible as it is, I actually want my bass to look as good as it sounds, an I think they look just brilliant! They both cost the same amount from what I've seen, so I'll go with the VMJ for now...I think the Gallery might have one in stock, in on their site, so I'm going give em a ring tomorrow to ask 'em then pop down to try it out...Might ask them about possibly selling my 5string through them (After I put it up here...first dibs for the basschatters!)

Also, am I right in thinking that the maple body of the VMJ would give it more or a snappy attack? Because I'd like to get the sort of attack you get with a pick, but...using my fingers. Anyone know what size hipshot I'd need to buy to install in the VMJ? And if they come in black?

and again, thanks for the advice!

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='867605' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:55 PM']Excellent...an yea, I'm sure I'd survive the extra weight...I wanted to put in the SD 1/4 pounder pups, cos every bass I've played with them in has growled like hell, but with a really nice clear tone, I love it.

I was thinking about the CV, but I really REALLY want the bound&blocked neck, as horrible as it is, I actually want my bass to look as good as it sounds, an I think they look just brilliant! They both cost the same amount from what I've seen, so I'll go with the VMJ for now...I think the Gallery might have one in stock, in on their site, so I'm going give em a ring tomorrow to ask 'em then pop down to try it out...Might ask them about possibly selling my 5string through them (After I put it up here...first dibs for the basschatters!)

Also, am I right in thinking that the maple body of the VMJ would give it more or a snappy attack? Because I'd like to get the sort of attack you get with a pick, but...using my fingers. Anyone know what size hipshot I'd need to buy to install in the VMJ? And if they come in black?

and again, thanks for the advice![/quote]

I much preferred the acoustic tone of the VMJ to the CV - dunno if it's what you're after, but for snappy attack a maple neck can't be bad - was hard to judge the snap from the pickups IMO because they are not very 'open' sounding. [Shameless rule-bending plug] What you want is to get a VMJ, enlarge the pickup holes and fit [topic="88344"]these[/topic] badboys in there! More snap than a Croatian winger's ankle [/shameless rule-bending plug]. In all seriousness, that would sound monstrous. If I wasn't averse to routing out guitar bodies I'd never let go of them.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='867429' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:54 PM']So yes, I wanted to get your advice! Because I know diddly-squat about basses, even less about anything remotely fender related...Basically, there's a few aesthetic requirements, I know what pups/bridge/tuners I want (I was also looking at those warwick just-a-nut I's, the brass ones, they looked pretty cool!)...So basically, I want either a nice Ash body (not sure how much this'd cost me) for a natural finish, or I could settle for a basswood finish an paint it yellow an get all black hardware. I also want a block&bound neck, cos it looks killer! I guess I would prefer a 5string, string it E-C, but I'm going to settle for a 4string for this band, it's all I need after all...It'll take some getting used to again!

Thanks for any/all advice![/quote]

Another option for you. Check out the pics on this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89009[/url]

Also available as a 5 string. It has a bound jazz neck and an ash body with a jazz pick-up configuration (bridge pick-up is switchable). Weighs in the region of 8lbs. New or second-hand. Best prices from new are in France.

Balcro.

Hmm, I was more looking for a passive bass to be honest, kinda fed up with messing about with EQs on my bass, an passive seems to work nicer with some effects pedals (Maybe it's just the basses/pedals I've tried, I don't know, but the active basses all seem to make my chorus pedal distort a bit on the lower notes). Plus I'd have to re-wire that bass so it's vol/vol, seems like a bit of a pain tbh...Although I guess since I'm going to be doing some wiring anyway when I install new pickups, I may as well...I dunno, I'd have to try one first I guess. I'll look into them for sure, I can always make them passive I guess.

also, just noticed that Hipshot do brass or aluminium bridges, what's the differences between the two? Is there any tonal difference? sustain etc? the brass ones are more expensive, but only by £10 or so, so I'd like to find out, I want this bass to be perfect!

Edited by SignsOfDelirium_bassist

[quote name='SignsOfDelirium_bassist' post='868015' date='Jun 15 2010, 02:01 PM']Hmm, I was more looking for a passive bass to be honest, kinda fed up with messing about with EQs on my bass, an passive seems to work nicer with some effects pedals (Maybe it's just the basses/pedals I've tried, I don't know, but the active basses all seem to make my chorus pedal distort a bit on the lower notes). Plus I'd have to re-wire that bass so it's vol/vol, seems like a bit of a pain tbh...Although I guess since I'm going to be doing some wiring anyway when I install new pickups, I may as well...I dunno, I'd have to try one first I guess. I'll look into them for sure, I can always make them passive I guess.

also, just noticed that Hipshot do brass or aluminium bridges, what's the differences between the two? Is there any tonal difference? sustain etc? the brass ones are more expensive, but only by £10 or so, so I'd like to find out, I want this bass to be perfect![/quote]

The volume pot on the cort is a push pull switch, pull to make it passive...
It would be a great bass for upgrading, I want to put some new pups in mine at some point!

oh really? cool, well in that case it's a definite maybe...I do prefer the shape of a jazz though, guess it'll probably come down to the cost....although it would be nice to have a light bass for once, I think all my basses so far have been mahogany bodies, which I'm pretty sure can't be the lightest of woods...

On the Cort, would I be able to wire the slap switch to be a series/parallel for when I've got both coils in the 'bucker on? Maybe a series/parallel between the two pups? That would be pretty cool...or perhaps a killswitch? That would be pretty damn handy!
Wire the 3 knobs so it's v/v/t, so it's always in passive...Hmm, I'm liking the sound of this bass more an more, it would take a lot of work though...Still, be a pretty good accomplishment for me if I manage to pull it off! If I don't I'm sure I can get my uncle to help me fix it up so it works, haha.

Hi there,

Re-wiring jobs are not for me, but this following link which might prove useful, gives you the schematics for the GB75. -

[url="http://www.cortguitars.com/downloads/pdfs/GB75.pdf"]http://www.cortguitars.com/downloads/pdfs/GB75.pdf[/url]

Balcro.

I think I'm going to stick with the jazz bass though, it more what I'm going for in looks, an I've played many jazz basses, and I know that the pup configuration is what I'm after, I don't need much choice, an I'm going for simplicity...sort of. It also seems to be cheaper than the cort by about £200, I've not got tons of money, so that £200 is quite a selling point for me!

Thanks all the same though, I think I might reserve the cort for a later date, maybe if I decide to get a new 6string...