Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Speakon AND 1/4"

DaveMuadDib

Bit of a weird one, this idea just popped into my head and there's no way in hell I'm finding out the hard way!

My amp head and my cab both have a speakon and a 1/4" jack connector. What would happen if both of these were connected up at the same time?

I'm not quite dumb enough to think that it would double the output :) But my initial guess is that it would cause no damage and just sound exactly the same. Of course, it could also short everything out and explode. But does anyone know for sure?

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='866959' date='Jun 14 2010, 12:52 PM']Bit of a weird one, this idea just popped into my head and there's no way in hell I'm finding out the hard way!

My amp head and my cab both have a speakon and a 1/4" jack connector. What would happen if both of these were connected up at the same time?

I'm not quite dumb enough to think that it would double the output :) But my initial guess is that it would cause no damage and just sound exactly the same. Of course, it could also short everything out and explode. But does anyone know for sure?[/quote]

The amp outputs will be wired in parallel and both carry the same signal. You can connect a speaker of appropriate impedance to either or a speaker to each.

The connectors on the cabs are also wired in parallel so you can loop from one cab to another.

Connecting both amp outputs to two connectors on the same speaker can also do no harm. You are just doubling the effective size of the cable between the two. As you say it will not increase the amp/speaker output power.

WARNING: The above presumes that all your speaker cables are wired the same way.

For example:

Jack to Jack - tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve

Speakon to Speakon - 1+ to 1+ and 1- to 1-

jack to Speakon - Tip to 1+ and Sleeve to 1-

Best to check them all with a meter before trying.

Thanks for clarifying! I thought this was the case. I won't, and will probably never actually attempt this in the real world, it's just that my curiousity can be a dangerous beast sometimes :)

By the way - I just got back from Download festival and my 1m Speakon Cable is here safe and sound :-D Excellent quality and service, I look forward to buying from you again.