Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR500 - £135 - ON HOLD Sale Pending

LawrenceH

2004-ish? Serial C04031857

This one's rather 'road worn' from being used at a jam night as the house bass, the finish isn't as tough as polyurethane! Hence I've set what I think is a very fair price. But it plays very very well, everyone who used it at the jam would comment on how nice and easy it felt. The neck is the real feature of these basses, 5-piece bubinga/wenge with a nice dark rosewood fretboard. It's gorgeous, fast and is as straight as the proverbial arrow, and rock solid stable - I've never needed to adjust the truss rod ever, and had the action set stupid-low. The body is 2-piece mahogany (not 3-piece like some of the newer basses seem to be) and seems to be a warmer, lighter (better, I reckon!) colour than usual.

Bartolini Mk1 pickups and pre, though not really being into active EQ I ran it passive using Nordstrand Big Singles (also available, please see my other FS thread), which sounded amazing. Regardless of what pickups are on this bass I think the best way of describing the tone is 'thick', and it sustains well, I think it's down to the wood and construction method of the neck.

The bass is fitted with dunlop straplocks which have never let me down, I'll include these in the sale since the horn one has been recessed into the body.

I'm happy to post this at buyer's expense or you can pick it up from Edinburgh. I'm sad to shift this but have gone a bit mad on ebay in my quest for the 'perfect' jazz and need to get some of the money back/make some space before my wife gets back from a trip abroad and finds out what I've done :)

Photos to follow asap, I'll try and highlight the various dings.

Edited by LawrenceH

Here're some photos. I've tried to make the dings obvious - colour-wise it's difficult to photograph, it varies a lot in pictures depending on the lighting. I've done it without strings so you can see things clearly - there is a string indentation on the fret board quite high up but what look like horrendous fretboard scratches in one pic are just bits of fluff from that dreadful carpet!

[attachment=52140:DSCF1029.jpg] [attachment=52142:DSCF1034.jpg] [attachment=52144:DSCF1035.jpg] [attachment=52146:DSCF1036.jpg] [attachment=52147:DSCF1037.jpg] [attachment=52148:DSCF1038.jpg] [attachment=52149:DSCF1039.jpg] [attachment=52150:DSCF1041.jpg] [attachment=52151:DSCF1042.jpg]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='866151' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:48 PM']I take it you removed the Nordstrands and put the originals back in with the active EQ?

I could be interested in this once I've seen pics[/quote]

Yup, it'll come with the original pups and EQ - the Nordstrands are available separately, but they are a little undersized for the cavities, as they're size matched to the more expensive Bart pickups rahter than the Mk1s. I quite liked how it looked with them in though - like a proper no-nonsense workhorse!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='867327' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:28 PM']Indeed! And on hold, sale pending...[/quote]
Hi LawrenceH, I appreciate the sale is on hold - I've been looking out for one of these for some time, just missed you...!! If by any chance it is not sold and is still for sale I can pick up in Edinburgh anytime at your convenience. Alan