Why become a member? ×

Shuker "Elite" 5.

giblett123

Morning all,

here we have the latest in my bass thinning out. This is my Shuker “elite” neck thru 5 bass. This is an absolutely stunning bass both visually, tone wise and for build quality but Jon is building me a custom P-bass (soon to appear in the build diaries) and I’ve had a moment of financial clarity so have to sell something to pay for it!. The pictures are the previous owners (happy Jack), hope he doesn’t mind but I haven't had a mo to do any, if anyone needs me to I can. For those of you not familiar with Jon Shukers' work go to www.shukerguitars.co.uk and have a look, they are really special.

[b]Specs are:[/b] 35” scale, 3 piece laminate thru-neck with walnut pinstripes, rosewood board, 24 frets, 5A flame maple (I think) drop top, satin topcoat, Kent Armstrong “soapbar” pickups, 3 band active circuit.

[b]Condition:[/b] Very good +, there are a few very minor blemishes & slight marks + a tiny bit of light tarnish on the hardware but nothing hideous or obvious without close inspection or that effects playability, it plays perfectly with no issues.

[b]Price:[/b] I’m looking for £1099 [u][b]NOW £850[/b][/u] or reasonable offers and can ship if required, I'm not really looking for trades on this one as it is supposed a fundraiser but as always I have a weakness for nice basses so please feel free to try!

Cheers for looking.
Chris.
PS come in a decent leather gig bag.

Edited by giblett123

Guest BassKS

Thats a lot of knobs. And a beautiful bass. Must sound the balls. WHat do the all do? I guess theres the all thre bands and a volume/pan? There cant be a passive tone can there?

Very beautiful

[quote name='BassKS' post='865819' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:45 AM']Thats a lot of knobs. And a beautiful bass. Must sound the balls. WHat do the all do? I guess theres the all thre bands and a volume/pan? There cant be a passive tone can there?

Very beautiful[/quote]
Yep, its a lovely bit of wood & a really fast neck, If I'm honest I have no idea what all the knobs do! I will mail Jon Shuker & ask him for some info, there is a vol, pan, 3 band eq, one sounds like some kind of mid sweep but I spend most of my time chugging away on passive stuff so this is all new to me! If anyone out there has any ideas?????

Guest BassKS

[quote name='giblett123' post='865830' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:56 AM']Yep, its a lovely bit of wood & a really fast neck, If I'm honest I have no idea what all the knobs do! I will mail Jon Shuker & ask him for some info, there is a vol, pan, 3 band eq, one sounds like some kind of mid sweep but I spend most of my time chugging away on passive stuff so this is all new to me! If anyone out there has any ideas?????[/quote]

It would make sense if it is a Q-mid knob. and the toggle is active passive? I suppose one way of finding that is switching the toggle and seeing if any of the EQ knobs do anything.

I played this bass last year when Happy Jack still had it and it's a fabulous sounding instrument that plays very nicely indeed! If it wasn't for the relatively narrow string spacing (compared to what I'm used to at 19mm) I would be very interested in it myself...

IIRC, the bass had lots of tonal versatility without sounding in any way like it's the circuitry that's doing all the work, if that makes sense.

Quite a unique story to it as well, so on top of having a superb bass you'd also be owning a piece of british bass-making history!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='866018' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:08 PM']I played this bass last year when Happy Jack still had it and it's a fabulous sounding instrument that plays very nicely indeed! If it wasn't for the relatively narrow string spacing (compared to what I'm used to at 19mm) I would be very interested in it myself...

IIRC, the bass had lots of tonal versatility without sounding in any way like it's the circuitry that's doing all the work, if that makes sense.

Quite a unique story to it as well, so on top of having a superb bass you'd also be owning a piece of british bass-making history![/quote]

Yep, this one is narrowish, feels a lot like the stingray 5's which I think are 17mm, I believe this bass was the first he made when setting up shop & was used a NAMM in 96? so is a sort of prototype, one of a kind!

Guest BassKS

I have never tried any of Jon's stuff nor Ken Armstrongs.... I therefore have no inkling of the sound. It does look very pretty.... Much prettier than a Warwick.

[quote name='BassKS' post='866032' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:22 PM']I have never tried any of Jon's stuff nor Ken Armstrongs.... I therefore have no inkling of the sound. It does look very pretty.... Much prettier than a Warwick.[/quote] Jon's stuff is great, I have two of his jazzes & a P-bass on order, every bit as good as any of my Sadowsky's have been, kent Armstrong? sound good to me, the only other time I've used them was on a Lakland Jerry scheff I used to own, very full & clean sounding.

[quote name='giblett123' post='866056' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:41 PM']Jon's stuff is great, I have two of his jazzes & a P-bass on order, every bit as good as any of my Sadowsky's have been, kent Armstrong? sound good to me, the only other time I've used them was on a Lakland Jerry scheff I used to own, very full & clean sounding.[/quote]
Monday morning bump.

[quote name='jackjazz' post='868450' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:24 PM']How wides the neck on this ? Whats the string spacing like ?[/quote]
G'day Jack, the necks pretty slim, I have smallish hands and cope with it ok, string spacing feels a lot like my old stingray 5 which was 17mm, I'll measure it for you today & get back.

[quote name='loweringthetone' post='869368' date='Jun 16 2010, 07:48 PM']What a gorgeous 5. Love the wood . Drool............... :)[/quote]
Yep, the grain on this one is really nice, if anything maybe a tad darker than it looks in the pics, also has a very nice satin finish.

[quote name='richardrickenbacker' post='871379' date='Jun 19 2010, 12:11 AM']under a grand, this will surely go now??[/quote]
We live in hope! There's been a couple up for round the £1.5k mark recently & they went although probably not for that much, dunno, I guess everyones skint!

[quote name='giblett123' post='871934' date='Jun 19 2010, 05:27 PM']We live in hope! There's been a couple up for round the £1.5k mark recently & they went although probably not for that much, dunno, I guess everyones skint![/quote]Hefty price drop bump!