Why become a member? ×

SOLVED = THANK YOU!

mildmanofrock

[attachment=51897:DSC01048.JPG]

I've got a gig tonight and thought it would be a good idea to buy some nice new tubes from the lovely people at Watford Valves. I whipped out the old valves from my Ampeg SVT-6 Pro and didn't note which valves went where. Yes, I'm an idiot, I know.

To cut a long story short, I need to put the original valves back in.

There are four 12AX7 valves and two 12AU7 valves.

I've hunted high and low for a schematic - called Panic Music, spoken to Watford Valves, and left a message with Loud Technologies and no ones entirely sure what goes where.

Can anyone help??? I've attached a picture of the empty valve slots!

Thank you folks!!

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

At a guess (completely uneducated mind you) I would say that the four 12AX7 valves go in the top four wholes of the picture, and the other 2 go in the erm... other two. Just makes sense to e as it looks like the lower two are on the preamp board and the upper four are on the poweramp board

Don't take my word as gospel though! I'll try and find something to back up my guesses.

EDIT: If you can decipher them, schematics are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20596"]on post 7 here[/url]

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='864452' date='Jun 11 2010, 03:55 PM']At a guess (completely uneducated mind you) I would say that the four 12AX7 valves go in the top four wholes of the picture, and the other 2 go in the erm... other two. Just makes sense to e as it looks like the lower two are on the preamp board and the upper four are on the poweramp board

Don't take my word as gospel though! I'll try and find something to back up my guesses.

EDIT: If you can decipher them, schematics are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20596"]on post 7 here[/url][/quote]
Schematics seem to give*:
J11 = 12AX7
J12 = 12AU7
J14 = 12AX7
J39 = 12AU7

J2 and J3 aren't specified, so presumably you can whack the two remaining 12AX7s down there. They're the preamp valves, so that kind of makes sense (half the fun of a valve preamp being the testing of different valves).

[size=1]* Caveat: I can read a schematic, but I'm no engineer. I take no responsibility for anything, including my own life. :) [/size]

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='864452' date='Jun 11 2010, 03:55 PM']At a guess (completely uneducated mind you) I would say that the four 12AX7 valves go in the top four wholes of the picture, and the other 2 go in the erm... other two. Just makes sense to e as it looks like the lower two are on the preamp board and the upper four are on the poweramp board

EDIT: If you can decipher them, schematics are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20596"]on post 7 here[/url][/quote]

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply allighatt0r - I really appreciate it. I've had two independent sources confirm the correct placement now...

it's 12AX7s in J11, J14 and the front two preamp slots... and 12AU7s in the J12 and J39 slots.

My god, that was a close call.

Cheers mate!

Steve