Why become a member? ×

PRS £7000.00!!

bubinga5

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='864736' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:51 PM']And then you did it twice :rolleyes:

I agree, I tried to make the same point but with less articulation.[/quote]

Sorry Wayne I have no idea how I did that but I did rectify it pretty quick! :)

As to the reply, well it would have to well measured wouldnt it...? as would a reply from Beedster to a thread slagging of Fenders or Warwickhunt to a thread slagging off Warwicks, Outtoplayjazz to a thread slagging off Statii......

You get the idea.... :lol:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='864733' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:46 PM']It wasnt going to be long before I had to post was it.

I do honestly truly understand the 'but I can make the same sound for £500' argument.

I can also understand the 'I wouldnt use that in a pub 4 nights a week argument' (I wouldnt use mine for pub gigs, I'd probably use an Ibanez).

However I have to say a few comments on this thread have somwhat vexed me

Why is it a waste of money? Someone could afford to buy it and probably will. If you use that argument Ferrari, Maybach, Rolls-Royce and Bentley would never sell any cars. If you want the very best of everything it costs money.

Because almost everyone cannot afford £7k on an instrument doesnt make it wrong, itjust makes it very very expensive.

A PRS EB IV when on sale in the UK was £2.4k. I would most certainly have not been ableto buy all the lovelies I have if I'd had to pay that amount, but some were sold for that price in the UK.

I'm afraid most of you are missing the point. You have to order PRS Private Stock instruments. They are hand made for you in the custom shop at Stevensville. The customer specifies all aspects of the order. PRS has obtained some of the most exotic woods and finishes available to make Private Stock instruments from, and some of those have been stored and conditioned for years to produce massively stable structures.

The GG 5 string for sale at Thomanns will have been orderd by someone maybe even Thomann to sell. They are not mass produced machine made 'fighting guitars'.

Thomanns can reflect that price in what they are asking for it.

I also resent the midlife crisis bass label that some of you have added to it - would you say the same of a Shuker, a Custom shop (POS IMHO) Fender or a custom shop Warwick......?

There is less than 5 GG basses made a year, that makes it a very exclusive club. A club I will be joining in a couple of years time, not because I want ANY OLD 5 STRING bass, I want a handmade PRS and I am prepared to pay for it. I will be flying over to pick it up too. It will never get played in a pub but will be played and cherished as my others are.

Someone will buy that one and you know what.... You will never see it for sale on here because whoever does buy it will want to keep it.[/quote]

Well said!

I couldn't afford to spend £7k on a single instrument but I've spent more than that over the years on various guitars basses and amps :)

Its all relative as well. If £7k is a drop in the ocean and you can easily afford to then why not? Also, to many people £500 is a lot of money for a guitar/bass.

they never really established a good name for themselves on basses. I have 2 PRS lead guitars that get gigged regularly, they are great instruments that for me far outstrip a les paul or a strat in terms of build quality, sound quality, playability and versatility, but I hate to see all this expensive fancy stuff destined for a collectors wallhanging, they should be things made to be played.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='864859' date='Jun 12 2010, 12:58 AM']they never really established a good name for themselves on basses. I have 2 PRS lead guitars that get gigged regularly, they are great instruments that for me far outstrip a les paul or a strat in terms of build quality, sound quality, playability and versatility, but I hate to see all this expensive fancy stuff destined for a collectors wallhanging, they should be things made to be played.[/quote]

Al you have a valid point and actually one that isn't lost on Paul, where you aware fore example that the first 4 instruments that he made to sell were in fact basses?

It is my opinion that Paul thought that if he put the same amount of care and attention into a bass that he did for his top end guitars that they would attract as much attention and that us the bass playing punters would want them in the same numbers as the geetards did his 6 strings......

Clearly he miss-aligned his thoughts and miss read the 'thrifty' market that is bass players....... :)

I am UTTERLY convinced that had more people seen passed the price tag and picked one up they would have been hooked instantly. I know I was and I actually owned a couple of nice basses when I did 1st get my hands one.
They just didnt compare.

And I'll tell you why, not in my words but those of my best mate and geetarist.....

'each one feels like it was lovingly made just for you.....'

I cannot sum it up better than that.

As soon as I'd had one, played it, and it got undr my skin every other bass has had to live up to that as a benchmark. The only others that have come anywhere near (to me), are Clover, and Vigier. Although I'm sure if I spent enough money with Mr Shuker or Mr Green I could get an instrument made for me that would be close to emulating that feeling.

I'll give a thought about your 'fancy wallhanger' comment tho', I have already discussed with Stevensville if the combination of woods and hardware would be achievable for the GG5 that I will be commisioning, (which thankfully it is!) and even tho' the price I was hinted at was expensive, it was nowehere near the price that Thomann are wanting for that GG5........ Me thinks they are on a fishing trip because of the rarity factor (I would suggest that that one is the only one in Europe, or if it isnt it will be less that a handfull).