Why become a member? ×

215 or Ampeg 610?

Count Bassie

So I've stayed with the Peavey... I dismissed the Ampeg 410 HLF- can't think about this stuff anymore. Anyhow I'm now just walking until I get to the replacement 15s for the Peavey 215D cab. I'll post again when they're in, and with a short review of the result. I expect it to be very satisfactory with the old Trace MK IV.

I know it's a sort of old thread, but it's late and I'm not sleepy.

Oops, yeah, it just hit. Crash time...

Sounds to me that you need to get to try some 410 type cabinets so you can really know what to expect. When I saw your first post my immediate thought was 'try it out and see if it suits you' rather than our various experiences and opinions.

For me its 10s always, I have a ported 15 if its a big place and this gives a little more depth (my old Trace 1518 was super sub - gone now - sniff), I find using just 15s to be rather hollow sounding, but that's me.

Having tried some cabs with 10s you might find you don't like it after all and can really sleep well!

[quote name='4 Strings' post='882716' date='Jul 1 2010, 04:06 AM']Sounds to me that you need to get to try some 410 type cabinets so you can really know what to expect. When I saw your first post my immediate thought was 'try it out and see if it suits you' rather than our various experiences and opinions.

For me its 10s always, I have a ported 15 if its a big place and this gives a little more depth (my old Trace 1518 was super sub - gone now - sniff), I find using just 15s to be rather hollow sounding, but that's me.

Having tried some cabs with 10s you might find you don't like it after all and can really sleep well![/quote]

You're right there. The internet is sitting inside this little box, and when you have a full plate of family duties and little time to go exploring, you find yourself drawn in. I'm playing out a good bit and counting on getting busier, so I'm "actively looking" in this way. But I'm often surprised to find out what experience shows me after the info is gathered. :)

I've always liked 15s, and this old Peavey cab is, to me, a classic sound. And I got it for $50 US, with the Scorpions in it! For me, on a budget, loading it with something hip is better than spending on a more 'desirable' cab... but eventually I may find that 10s are the way to go. I'm not in a hurry to get, just doing homework. But I appreciate the sensible advice.

The SVT610HLF is the finest cab ive ever owned, simples! It does weigh a bit, but dont let that put you off as it does have big sturdy castors, a towel rail for pushing/pulling it, and skid rails on the back. I simply cannot recommend it highly enough, wish id bought one years back - would have saved me a costly cab buying journey! Its ported as well, I have had no problems being heard anywhere... ever... fills a room with bassy goodness. It handles tops beautifully as well and you can tinker with the variable tweeter setting to get what you want coming out of it.

:wub: i love it long time, as you might have guessed

[quote name='Stag' post='884647' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:43 AM']The SVT610HLF is the finest cab ive ever owned, simples! It does weigh a bit, but dont let that put you off as it does have big sturdy castors, a towel rail for pushing/pulling it, and skid rails on the back. I simply cannot recommend it highly enough, wish id bought one years back - would have saved me a costly cab buying journey! Its ported as well, I have had no problems being heard anywhere... ever... fills a room with bassy goodness. It handles tops beautifully as well and you can tinker with the variable tweeter setting to get what you want coming out of it.

:wub: i love it long time, as you might have guessed[/quote]

+1 kabillon!
These things cannot be beaten when it comes to 10´s, IMO.
More portable than the 8x10 and with a huge, unique sound of its own.
I A/B´d the 8x10 / 6x10 and was blown away with both.
The only downside for the 610HLF when compared to the 810 is that it doesn´t have the same baffle system inside, as its a ported cab, so if your expecting the same sound as the ´fridge´, it won´t be the exact same.
The 8x10 had a little bit more top end and midrange kick.
But the 610 has a bigger bottom and a sweeter overall sound IMO.
These cabs are amazing and should always be considered when looking at the big cab market!

• 5 weeks later...

I found another Peavey 215D loaded with BW 1502s, and swapped the AMP head + $100 US for it. I know, the 610 may be the Brass Ring, but I like 15s. And I like the way the Peaveys behave... dunno what to say about it. I'm also a poor man in the Race For Gear, and it was accessible and affordable. Goes great with my Trace MK IV head, beautiful sound.

Playing a reggae gig with this rig in two weeks, looking enthusiastically forward to it! Big, phat bass notes are fun...

I would prefer 6x10 instead of 2x15 because I like faster loudspeakers and I think that 6x10 and 8x10 can play also those phat tones like 15s, and I dont think that 15s can produce sound of 10s. but if you prefer 2x15 than stay with those 15s. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stag' post='884647' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:43 AM']The SVT610HLF is the finest cab ive ever owned, simples! It does weigh a bit, but dont let that put you off as it does have big sturdy castors, a towel rail for pushing/pulling it, and skid rails on the back. I simply cannot recommend it highly enough, wish id bought one years back - would have saved me a costly cab buying journey! Its ported as well, I have had no problems being heard anywhere... ever... fills a room with bassy goodness. It handles tops beautifully as well and you can tinker with the variable tweeter setting to get what you want coming out of it.

:wub: i love it long time, as you might have guessed[/quote]

+1

Stag has basically nailed it, I let other people run their heads through mine quite regularly (means I get to use my 610HLF and SVT4Pro at most gigs) and I've not heard one head sound bad through this cab yet.

decent frequency response (wider than the 810) in a cab that can be wheeled into and out of most places with ease. Just be careful lifting it on your own.

I've now scored [u]two[/u] Peavey cabs, both 215D. One is BW (1502), the other has Scorpions, which sits at the rehearsal space with the MK IV AH250GP-11 Trace head sitting atop it.

The 215D [u]BW[/u] goes to bigger outdoor gigs and reggae gigs I pick up. I put the AH250SMX head through that one. I use a large-appliance dolly to move it with, as we have these rough stone steps leading up to our basement, and it's a little rough going for bigger cabs.

A little OT here, I recently found a GK 400RB for $120 US, and it sits atop my old Bag End S15-Ds for most of the pop-type gigs ([i]it was the third GK 400RB I came across at such a price, and I finally broke under it! It's a killer head- small, powerful enough to make a room git up and git down, and sounds classic[/i]).

I hear all the accolades for the Ampeg 610... I came into what I have here cheap though, and that's where it's at these days. I would look into the 'Peg further if things were a little different money-wise, but here in Rhode Island unemployment is still pretty high and I'm lucky to be making what I'm making at this point! I almost had one back there at the start of the thread, but she got away...

Thanks for all the chiming in folks.