Why become a member? ×

Today I got this Vintage Carlsbro

tayste_2000

Finally caved after some persuading and got this, currently doesn't work but it has worked in the past and none of the valves glow. So with these being all original I'm assuming it needs a revalve and a service to get it up and running.

Ok so got it here today and taken some crappy blackberry pics. Firstly its in very good condition, needs a bit of a clean and obviously as stated early the amp doesn't work :)

here is a worse picture than the above :rolleyes:

Back of the amp

Back of the amp opened up

Everything looks fine, not much rust, transformers look in good condition, etc.

Brimar Preamp Tube looks super clean, almost brand new I expect these will be fine and therefore will be staying in the amp

Tubes removed

Can you say Mullard, unfortunately 1 has a small crack near the base and they both rattle and have small white stuff inside so I think they're blown but they'll get tested tomorrow along with everything else.

Head with the tubes out

As stated before everything looks in good order and again look at those beautiful Brimar preamp tubes :lol:

Cab opened up

You can see it has a tweeter, I don't know if it works but it certainly doesn't make any bad noises in either cabs so not going to disconnect it.

Initially I was really disappointed as I was expecting 70's celestions and I though, "Damn some crappy own make by Carlsbro" but a quick google of Power Tone 60 revealed this.

[url="http://www.amps-n-bits.com/guitar-speakers/fane-guitar-speakers/fane-guitar-speakers.htm"]http://www.amps-n-bits.com/guitar-speakers...ar-speakers.htm[/url] (Scroll down to the similar picture)

It's a 60w Fane and both cabs are the same :lol: now I've had some 25w Fanes before and they just couldn't handle the bass I threw at them, but these as test later were beautiful.

Testing one cab out, running at 16 ohms just the cab on the left, annoyingly the input and link jacks are on the left side of both cabs so you can't use them both and sit them like this side by side, though I think I can get a really flat right angled jack speaker lead and do this is future. Using my Simms Watt PA100 MK1 with the 1967 Hofner 185/E2.

Sound is nice, little bit quiet considering the power going into it

This next picture I did because the Dynacord is hardwired to 8ohms so had to use both cabs, shockingly it's really loud (you know for 17w) and when cranked the distortion is beautiful, this will be going to quite a few jams with me, rocking out Jack Bruce style.

The cabs together are bigger than the sum of their parts on their own, while it's a full range signal it's not huge sounding but the 2 together is really big and far more balanced, to the point with the Simms I could gig, probably a small gig but easily cover anything I do outside of my main band.

Here is what my new home practice rig will be once serviced (Dynacord MV15 and Carlsbro Cab)

So overall I'm happy with this, can't wait to get the head up and running this week.

[quote name='BanditSid' post='859324' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:11 PM']I have three NOS Mullard EL34's for sale if they're any good to you - the date code etched in puts them as 1973 to 75 manufacture - all unused, in boxes and pe4rfect condition.[/quote]

Tempting but I think I need 4 I don't expect any of these valves to be working.

Also for the amount I'm going to use it I'll probably go a cheaper route such as JJ's

But thanks for the offer, I'll bare you in mind if I have to replace some of my other Mullards

Got it back from the tech yesterday, we only put 2 tubes in it as I'm in no great rush to use it so it's giving 50w out and its pretty freakin loud as is.

Here is the guy shot

It's working great now, sounds fantastic very clean and full, hopefully I can get a bit more playing time on it tonight.

I also got my Dynacord MV15 back as well and man is it stunning now, we even managed to make up a new cable with a 3 pin din connection so I can use one of the mic channels over just the instrument one which is much easier to overdrive at lower volumes and with it back to being switchable between 15 and 6ohms I can use it with one of my Fane loaded Carlsbro cabs for home practice and the 2 for jamming with friends.