Why become a member? ×

tokia jazz sound

fluffo

[quote name='dlloyd' post='857051' date='Jun 4 2010, 11:58 AM']The Japanese ones are excellent, and are essentially non-export CIJ Fenders with a different decal (may be some hardware differences).

I have no knowledge of Chinese Tokais.[/quote]

It wouldn't surprise me if they actually ARE non-export Fenders with a different decal. Tokai make various guitars for various big manufacturers, including Fender Telecasters.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='857084' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:14 PM']It wouldn't surprise me if they actually ARE non-export Fenders with a different decal. Tokai make various guitars for various big manufacturers, including Fender Telecasters.[/quote]

That's what I was trying to say!

Amazing what a difference a decal can make... Ishibashi have this 1981 Greco strat for sale on ebay for £350:

Not bad considering it's exactly the same guitar as a JV Squier, which in strat form can go for more than twice as much.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one, spare / project bass. For the £250 it's a good working bass, but it's cheap enough to tweak, so there's money left in the budget of an american fender or similar, to fit better pickups (the ones it comes with are crap!), better machine heads and a new bridge, such as Badass II or a KSM.

To cut it short, if you don't intend to do anything with it, you can do better. As a starting point for an easy project, it's pretty good for the money :)

I have a tokai jazz sound. it is mint. The neck is brilliant. the pick ups were changed to some wizards. badass fitted, But i have to say it is hands down an excellent instrument. i cannot tell you how great they are. if you can get one snap it up.

Just out of interest does the Badass slot straight on? When funds permit, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go for a Badass as the one it comes with is crap.

I also agree with the beautiful neck comment, and the overall balance when playing is really well. If anyone is looking for one, I got mine from purpleturtle music for around £250 brand new.

The Badass will not just slot in, although it was a very easy fit. I had measured all the relevent string hights , spacings distance from bridge pickup. so when i fitted it, which was very straight forward, i had pretty much set the new bridge to the old ones settings. having tested it i did all the adjustments necessary, to get it the way i wanted it. for very little money, i have a great Bass.

Ah nice, I had a nightmare choosing what scheme to go for with mine. Black with black plate or a tortoise shell? Sunburst with plain or tortoise shell or coloured with the same combination of plates. Ended up going for a sunburst one :) I'm a bit picky and like to see the wood I'm playing.... good job my main hacks are Warwicks and a Wal haha

Yeah I'll try and get some. Got to get some of the Warwicks and Wal too to post up too. Got some nice plans for it though. Uprate all the hardware, new pickups, possibly a varitone or J tone, and a Roland GK3B pickup.