Why become a member? ×

Any one using a Peavey IPR1600?

dan670844

Hi is anyone using a Peavey IPR1600 in there rack?

I am using Crowns at the mo, have these got enough guts to drive the lows? enough puff. I am using Crown Torroidal tranny stuff at the mo (lots of spare juice) . I have not been impressed with this new wave of digi stuff so far. I like a big dynamic range at my fingers see, when I am playing.

Ta

Dan

[quote name='dan670844' post='856247' date='Jun 3 2010, 04:13 PM']Hi is anyone using a Peavey IPR1600 in there rack?

I am using Crowns at the mo, have these got enough guts to drive the lows? enough puff. I am using Crown Torroidal tranny stuff at the mo (lots of spare juice) . I have not been impressed with this new wave of digi stuff so far. I like a big dynamic range at my fingers see, when I am playing.

Ta

Dan[/quote]

Hey Dan, if I can sway you 'digi' wise. I think with a decent D-Class (Or H,or the other varieties) there is no reason why they can't be as good as or better than 'non digi' stuff. I hate the term 'digital' in reference to D-Class gear, as it *isn't* digital, but that's a rant for another day lol. I've heard good things about the IPR gear, though not used them.

If you want to get some reviews on how power amplifiers perform driving deep bass in to huge subs and which are the best (which I think is a pretty good test for us bass players) go here: [url="http://forum.speakerplans.com/"]http://forum.speakerplans.com/[/url]

I'm really pleased to see that a power amp I used to own is at the top of the pile for superior performance. That's anything by Powersoft - and they are all D-Class, 1 unit high and pushes out a real 2KW RMS. That's a good dynamic range for- well - any situation!

[quote name='dood' post='856322' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:30 PM']Hey Dan, if I can sway you 'digi' wise. I think with a decent D-Class (Or H,or the other varieties) there is no reason why they can't be as good as or better than 'non digi' stuff. I hate the term 'digital' in reference to D-Class gear, as it *isn't* digital, but that's a rant for another day lol. I've heard good things about the IPR gear, though not used them.

If you want to get some reviews on how power amplifiers perform driving deep bass in to huge subs and which are the best (which I think is a pretty good test for us bass players) go here: [url="http://forum.speakerplans.com/"]http://forum.speakerplans.com/[/url]

I'm really pleased to see that a power amp I used to own is at the top of the pile for superior performance. That's anything by Powersoft - and they are all D-Class, 1 unit high and pushes out a real 2KW RMS. That's a good dynamic range for- well - any situation![/quote]

Cheers Dood,

Hehe I know what you mean about class D H stuff but if you start saying stuff like switch mode power supply, you rapidly get the old glazed look. An ideal solution would be two 1U power amps one bridged for the my lows and one the for a stereo top. Then I can split if one goes down in an emergency. If you think the powersofts are up to it I will check them out

Cheer

Dan

[quote name='walbassist' post='856478' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:53 PM']I'm using one. It's very light and has the potential to go very very loud. Seems to be usual PV reliability so far.[/quote]

What I am really trying to ask is what is the transient response / dynamic range like. I know class D / H stuff can be loud. I tried one of thoose little shuttle dudes and have an LG1000 Superfly 48 rig for rehearsal, but both of them have hardly any dynamic range. I.e. difference between digging in and not. The only heads that have this these days is Genz Benz GBE750 or an Ashdown MK , Marshall DBS. But I guess most people don't like this! and I wanna use my preamp!

[quote name='dan670844' post='856834' date='Jun 4 2010, 08:50 AM']What I am really trying to ask is what is the transient response / dynamic range like.[/quote]

Ah gotcha! Well, I haven't noticed any real loss in response, but to be honest I am quite a smooth player as I am only playing fretless and upright at the mo, so no slapping for example. I'll give my amp a more "dynamic" workout tonight and report back!

[quote name='walbassist' post='856908' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:07 AM']Ah gotcha! Well, I haven't noticed any real loss in response, but to be honest I am quite a smooth player as I am only playing fretless and upright at the mo, so no slapping for example. I'll give my amp a more "dynamic" workout tonight and report back![/quote]

Okay, played at a beer festival last night for about 600 people. Amp worked very well - one 8 ohm cab per side - and it was very loud as already noted. At the soundcheck I deliberately gave the amp a hard workout and was really pleased with how it responded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...