Why become a member? ×

Compressors!

howieee

I swear by compression and won't take a bass anywhere without one. I find they add punch and make playing more effortless and allow me more touch sensitivity making the whole thing more responsive and alive. Funnily despite having owned many compressors i always go back to the good ol boss cs3 it just works for me.
If you check out my band lounge fly in my sig that's my sound and I don't think it suffers from it at all :-D

[quote name='GremlinAndy' post='872319' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:11 PM']I too have the Distressor.
It's the only compressor I've ever got on with.
I was trying over and again to find why people swear by compressors... as all they apperaed to do was as stated above, take away dynamics.
But now I find that the settings I'm using on the Distressor give me no loss of dynamics, and it's barely even there, but it does just tidy up my playing a little. (it's no substitute for perfect fingering tho, ...but then I'm far from perfect.) The key for me is to have so little noticable compression that I can forget it's there.

Mind you £1000 plus, is a lot of money to have something in the chain which I can't detect 99.999% of the time, I guess.

All other compressors I tried were basically, pants tho.[/quote]

Hi

Has anyone tried rack mounts such as the Aleis 3060 or similar compressors?

Yuk, stay away from this one. I´d better use no compression than an Alesis. Get a dbx160 A (or X or XT) and you´re done. You can´t dial in any bad sounding settings (in opposite to a Distressor or 1176) because it´s an automatic comp. Best bang for the buck on pro level. If you want to sink serious money into a compressor get any LA2A, LA3A, LA4, 1176 or Distressor. But mind that more knobs mean more control mean more can be dialed in wrong.

[quote name='jensenmann' post='893006' date='Jul 12 2010, 05:51 PM']Yuk, stay away from this one. I´d better use no compression than an Alesis. Get a dbx160 A (or X or XT) and you´re done. You can´t dial in any bad sounding settings (in opposite to a Distressor or 1176) because it´s an automatic comp. Best bang for the buck on pro level. If you want to sink serious money into a compressor get any LA2A, LA3A, LA4, 1176 or Distressor. But mind that more knobs mean more control mean more can be dialed in wrong.[/quote]

I think I'd agree with that post wholeheartedly. As I mentioned earlier, I have a Distressor and it did take me a while to find out how it worked to best effect.
It took enough rehearsals before I got it right that I nearly decided to get shut...
I'm glad I didn't, and in fairness, now I know how it all works, it's fairly easy to use. However an automatic compression would be a more immediate solution.

But steer away from the cheapest of cheaps. I reckon they probably rob you of more than they give you. *that was my experience anyway*