Why become a member? ×

ampeg svt bias and balance LEDS going wacky

Ant

hey hey, yeah the balance and bias leds on the back of my svt keep going on and off, and dim sometimes, usually if i flick the standby switch or sometimes when playing.

whats that all about then? it still sounds the same though.

I believe the BIAS LED circuit constantly checks the bias of the power amp valves - and *can* flicker when you are playing. However, if you have had the amp on for a good 20mins or so and it is idle, I would expect the LEDS to remain constant. I *did* read somewhere - maybe talkbass that earlier versions of the circuit were a bit untrustworthy - however, I never had any probelms with my SVT2al the time I owned it. It was a 99 Black Face.

You could try swapping the valves out and rebias to see if that helps - ok, so thats expensive - unless you can borrow a set?

[quote name='Ant' post='853707' date='Jun 1 2010, 03:57 PM']hey hey, yeah the balance and bias leds on the back of my svt keep going on and off, and dim sometimes, usually if i flick the standby switch or sometimes when playing.

whats that all about then? it still sounds the same though.[/quote]
valves pull current when there pulling signal which shifts the grid current and changes the bias reading.

Edited by umph