Why become a member? ×

flight case - cab idea

Colledge

Has anyone ever thought about modifying a flight case to actually be a speaker cabinet?
my trace cab has a flight case thats built like an absolute tank, this got me thinking about possibilities of getting a flight case about the size i want, fitting speakers and approximating the port sizes etc to get some decent sound.
flight cases that ive dealed with where made out of good quality ply, (obviously) very hard wearing and also where lined with foam, which i'm sure would work well as a cab. i figure i'd only have to add all of the needed bits and pieces to fit the speakers, do wiring, add the connections on the back and probably change/modify the clasps to stop them rattling from the bass.

am i missing something here? i realise that you'd never get perfect freq response or tuning that you'd get from a high end cab, but for us not too picky non- audiophile skint bassists it could work alright.

[quote name='Colledge' post='851361' date='May 29 2010, 07:07 PM']Has anyone ever thought about modifying a flight case to actually be a speaker cabinet?
my trace cab has a flight case thats built like an absolute tank, this got me thinking about possibilities of getting a flight case about the size i want, fitting speakers and approximating the port sizes etc to get some decent sound.
flight cases that ive dealed with where made out of good quality ply, (obviously) very hard wearing and also where lined with foam, which i'm sure would work well as a cab. i figure i'd only have to add all of the needed bits and pieces to fit the speakers, do wiring, add the connections on the back and probably change/modify the clasps to stop them rattling from the bass.

am i missing something here? i realise that you'd never get perfect freq response or tuning that you'd get from a high end cab, but for us not too picky non- audiophile skint bassists it could work alright.[/quote]
I seem to remember Dynacord got ther first with this,
a cab/combo built in a flight case with a removable/lockable front.