Why become a member? ×

Budget Raise

DreadAlert

Another thing I could do is instead of getting a Laney RB2, I could get an Ashdown perfect 10. I've heard good things about them for their price.

Or this maybe. [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/83577"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/83577[/url]

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='852637' date='May 31 2010, 02:33 PM']Struggle as in not be loud enough?[/quote]

Yup. To keep up with even a fairly quiet drummer you need to be looking a a [i]minimum[/i] of 100 Watts and a 12" speaker. 200 Watts through a 15" or a pair of 10's would be a better bet for a proper gigging amp though.

There's plenty about - I recently sold a Peavey TNT (160 Watt, 15" speaker) combo on this very forum for £90, and I felt that was a fair price. Keep you eyes skinned and something will come up.

A

I had a perfect ten thrown in with a secondhand bass once...thought it was dreadful. And I actually like the sound of the relatively cheap Ashdown Electric Blue, which is a bit dirty but conveys tone well enough. The perfect 10 was boomy, indistinct and slow no matter what settings I had on the bass.

I'mn sure the Yamaha BB414 would be a great choice to start with - or the RBX370, a seriously versatile and convincing-sounding cheap bass

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='853027' date='May 31 2010, 09:54 PM']I had a perfect ten thrown in with a secondhand bass once...thought it was dreadful. And I actually like the sound of the relatively cheap Ashdown Electric Blue, which is a bit dirty but conveys tone well enough. The perfect 10 was boomy, indistinct and slow no matter what settings I had on the bass.

I'mn sure the Yamaha BB414 would be a great choice to start with - or the RBX370, a seriously versatile and convincing-sounding cheap bass[/quote]

Infact, I've just figured out I could spend more on an amp. I'm probably getting the RBX374 as it's cheaper, and sounded just as good as the BB414, and looked better IMO.
I can spend about £178 on an amp. xD How's [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/30291-laney-rb3-richter-bass-combo-65-watts-12.html"]THIS[/url]?

Also, Yeah I'm still torn between a few basses, i'll see what's happening at the time.

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='853433' date='Jun 1 2010, 11:26 AM']Infact, I've just figured out I could spend more on an amp. I'm probably getting the RBX374 as it's cheaper, and sounded just as good as the BB414, and looked better IMO.
I can spend about £178 on an amp. xD How's [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/30291-laney-rb3-richter-bass-combo-65-watts-12.html"]THIS[/url]?

Also, Yeah I'm still torn between a few basses, i'll see what's happening at the time.[/quote]

That's more than enough for home use :)
Gets my vote

[quote name='throwoff' post='853777' date='Jun 1 2010, 04:48 PM']Buy the Basschat special -

Squier VM
Badass Bridge
Wizard Pickups.

Then a second hand amp from the for sale section.
Complete these steps and you are a true BC'er[/quote]

Sounds cool, but with the cost of the VM and then the Bridge and Pups, its too much. Would've loved to though.

Another thing I need to clear up - On the amp, what would the Line in ports actually do? And whats with the normal and high input ports? kinda annoying it doesn't have a headphone port aswell. :/

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='853870' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:48 PM']Sounds cool, but with the cost of the VM and then the Bridge and Pups, its too much. Would've loved to though.

Another thing I need to clear up - On the amp, what would the Line in ports actually do? And whats with the normal and high input ports? kinda annoying it doesn't have a headphone port aswell. :/[/quote]

Line in jack allows you to plug in a line level source and have it come through the amp and speaker. Doing that normally bypasses all the preamp, so it's only any good if you use another amp to set your sound and use this one as a monitor (say for the drummer maybe), or if you use a seperate preamp.

High and low inputs are for active and passive basses (nominally - some passives put out more signal than some actives). Some manufacturers use 'high' to designate high gain, others to indicate you can use a high level input. Suck it and see which works best.

Andy

I kinda need one with a headphone port though. I'd use that ALOT.

Anyone recommend any with a headphone port?

EDIT: just saw this [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69480"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69480[/url] - sounds GREAT, has everything I need, has good reviews.

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='854387' date='Jun 2 2010, 01:26 AM']Is there ANY way to play a bass through your laptop as the amp/speaker without harming it?

And even if you used a preamp, say the Vox AmPlug, could you do it via that?[/quote]

It is entirely possible but depending on what speakers you have on the PC it could sound terrible.

Even when I line in through my Mackie Onyx and monitor on my little Samson's it sounds fairly awful and I spent close to 500 quid getting there!

Second hand amp FTW!

[quote name='throwoff' post='854420' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:28 AM']It is entirely possible but depending on what speakers you have on the PC it could sound terrible.

Even when I line in through my Mackie Onyx and monitor on my little Samson's it sounds fairly awful and I spent close to 500 quid getting there!

Second hand amp FTW![/quote]

Yeah. I mean, I doubt any laptop has speakers capable of playing an instrument well, but could I connect it to my laptop, and then use the audio out on my laptop to connect to my big logitech speakers with a subwoofer and stuff?

Laney are fairly cool for the money. My first 'big' amp was an RB3 head and 410 cab and it sounded decent.

The cheaper laneys don't have what I would describe as great tone but they are fairly clean pre-amps and some nifty features like the built in compresser are nice to play with.

A quick question:
What bass is this that Rob Trujillo is using?
[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Robert_Trujillo_live_in_London_2008-09-15.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._2008-09-15.jpg[/url]

It looks so nice!

I think it might be a Fernandes Gravity 5 string.

I've been looking at their prices and they're surprisingly cheap! Has anyone had a go on them?

Edited by DreadAlert

He uses Fernades and Ibanez. Also has a Warwick signature and a Zon Signature model.

Not sure which one is in the pic, looks a bit Ibanez-y to me.
His Fernades is a custom model, not available in shops. Although You could probably order one similar.

Edited by TRadford

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='852801' date='May 31 2010, 06:17 PM']Another few basses have caught my eye.
Its the Ibanez BTB300...[/quote]
[quote name='DreadAlert' post='852991' date='May 31 2010, 09:26 PM']In a couple of months or so, when I have the money, I'm going to check out ebay and the forum for a used bass like the BTB400 or something.[/quote]
I used to have a BTB-range Ibanez. Great-looking and great-sounding bass, but just be aware that they're 35" scale [b]and they feel like it[/b]. Standard scale length (distance from nut to bridge) on your average bog-standard bass is 34", which isn't an enormous difference on a well-designed bass... but the BTB range basses feel [b]huge[/b]. It's a long, long way to the nut. If you're a big person, you'll probably be fine, but the combination of wider fret spacings and the reach down to the lower frets was just too much for me.

Just something to bear in mind. Try before you buy!

I'm not particularly... tall or long-armed/handed.

I guess I'd better stick with the main 3 I was considering then.

I think I'll only be able to feel the BB414 and the RBX374, but not the SR300. Anyone got any personal favourites from the 3?
But the thing is, I have no idea how to play anything on the bass so I don't really want to plug anything in at a store and hear it properly cause I'll look like a bit of a tard.

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='856668' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:00 PM']I'm not particularly... tall or long-armed/handed.

I guess I'd better stick with the main 3 I was considering then.

I think I'll only be able to feel the BB414 and the RBX374, but not the SR300. Anyone got any personal favourites from the 3?
But the thing is, I have no idea how to play anything on the bass so I don't really want to plug anything in at a store and hear it properly cause I'll look like a bit of a tard.[/quote]

Everyone has to start somewhere. I wouldnt worry about what other people think when you are trying a bass. Just hit strings and frets, see what noise comes out. Maybe read a few tabs before you go of easy songs to give you something to try.